Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

how to test if you need extended brake lines

Old 01-13-2012, 11:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to test if you need extended brake lines

im running elkas for 2.5-4inchs of lift with my 2.5 teraflex coil lift. i am wondering if i will need extended brake lines or weather what came in the original kit will suffice. i called tera and they said i may but they were not sure. they suggested i jack it up and see but im a little lost as to how they meant for me to jack it up?

im going up to the mountains this weeknd and dont want to tear or stretch a brake line. if i don disconect would i be safe.
any ideas?
Old 01-13-2012, 11:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you know the extended lengths for your shocks?
Old 01-13-2012, 11:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by cis911
do you know the extended lengths for your shocks?
unfortunately no. i cant find it on any of the web sites that sell them.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jtjk
they suggested i jack it up and see but im a little lost as to how they meant for me to jack it up?

any ideas?
Man I'm no expert. But I would think that you would just simply put the jack on the frame next to the wheel and lift the body untill a wheel isn't touching the ground. I guess the front would have to be discoed.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Ford

Man I'm no expert. But I would think that you would just simply put the jack on the frame next to the wheel and lift the body untill a wheel isn't touching the ground. I guess the front would have to be discoed.
That's close enough...
Or just test it on a big rock or cement wall that's around. Drive one front tire up on something and flex the jeep out as much as you can (like an articulation ramp). The brake lines should never get 'tight'. And if they pull or they are limiting your travel you're likely to have some issues while wheeling hard.
Of you plan on disconnecting your sway bar while offroad (recommended for more articulation) then you should do the test with it disconnected as well.
Good luck

Quick Reply: how to test if you need extended brake lines