Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to turn off ESP chime

Old 09-26-2015, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to turn off ESP chime

Does anyone know how to turn off the chime associated with the ESP being off? I had to take my 07 to the dealer for them to disable the ESP due to the traction control coming on in turns after I had a lift kit and 35s. Now the traction light is constantly on (not that annoying) and it beeps every time I shift (super annoying). Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

You shouldn't have had to disable ESP. Go through and check for basic alignment, axle centering, steering wheel centering in that order.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:45 PM
JK Newbie

I have already done all of that. It needed to come off. It's a common problem in first year JKs, especially those with a lift and bigger tires. Now I'm just trying to see if anyone knows how to turn off the chime.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Kaila
I have already done all of that. It needed to come off. It's a common problem in first year JKs, especially those with a lift and bigger tires. Now I'm just trying to see if anyone knows how to turn off the chime.
Well, FWIW I've fixed every one of those that came my way, including '07s. If the axles trully are centered within 1/4" sidede to side, and your steering wheel has been centered per the actual clock spring center, not just eyeballed, then there's a more fundamental issue. Not sure what your suspension is, but if it desn't have a raised rear track bar mount, prefferably a steering correction setup in front as well, that's most likely your problem.

There's no chime kill mod that I know of.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Agreed that something is off. A non-functional esp system for the 07's would be a lawsuit waiting to happen. Clockspring, wheel speed sensor, g sensor, something isn't correct and that's causing your issue.

But- you want to address the chime and that's fine. There is one person I've seen who has done it and you'd have to contact him directly to figure out where the buzzer is hiding. Look for "ludnuts off road" on facebook and contact the owner.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

How do you recenter the clock spring?
Old 09-30-2015, 05:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jonnysjk
How do you recenter the clock spring?
With the road wheels dead ahead, using the steering angle readout of an Aeroforce gauge adjust the drag link shorter or longer until it reads "0" steering angle. (All the Aeroforce gause really measures it the alignment of the sensor in the clock spring.) Using the steering wheel adjustment function of an AEV Procal, with the road wheels dead ahead adjust the drag link shorter or longer until both turn signals illuminate. Other tuners will have their own functions for doing this.

On my JK ('09 JKUR) before I had a tool I'd find a dead level section of concrete (garage, etc.) and slowly drive the rig back & forth until I was sure the front wheels were facing dead ahead, not steering right o left. I'd then adjust the drag link until the horizontal steering wheel spokes were perfectly level vs the bottom edge of the instrument cluster. When I checked it against the Aeroforce gauge it was off just a degree or two.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a worth while question though. I have had it many times where I am wheeling and mud gets onto a sensor and then I have to spend a day driving around the trails in 4 lo with that awful sound. Drives me insane.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

I dont have an AEV procal. I have a superchips flashpaq upgraded to the flashcal. Not sure if that would work. If not is it possible without a calibration tool?
Old 09-30-2015, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

It's possible and many people do it, it's just easier with the nice gadgets to help. It'll take more trial and error but certainly doable.

Quick Reply: How to turn off ESP chime