Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hubcentric rims without hubcentric rings

Old 10-20-2009, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hubcentric rims without hubcentric rings

How can you tell if a rim is hubcentric or lugcentric?

Is it ok to run hubcentric rims without the hubcentric rings? aside from having balancing problems will it cause damage?

I have these rims but not sure whether there hub or lug centric

Ballistic jester 814:

Old 10-20-2009, 06:09 AM
JK Super Freak

if its lug centric, wen you put the rim over the lugs you should be able to move the rim around a bit as the lug is a bit smaller than the holes and the taper in the lug nut fixes that. if its hub centric it will fit very tightly over the hub and won't be able to move around at all.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hub centric wheels not supported by the hub are no longer hub centric.

Lug centric wheels with the addition of a hub centric ring are still lug centric, just additionally have the weight placed on the wheel displaced over the hub as well.

One would assume that the center bore is actually true, but that is not always the case with lug centric wheels. Same goes for hub centric wheels with the lugs not necessarily being true.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dxbjeep
I had these on my jeep, you dont need anything extra to run them.

corey d
Old 10-20-2009, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all you answers guys, much appreciated

Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE
I had these on my jeep, you dont need anything extra to run them.

corey d
Great, as of right now I have these rims just bolted on, no aftermarket hubcertric stuff, had them balanced and my tracking/alignment done aswell and it runs like a dream.

I was just concerned I was running them without an aftermarket hubcentric ring specifically for this rim but your answers seem to clear that up.

cheers again guys
Old 10-20-2009, 07:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by planman
I don't think there are any members here who run aftermarket wheels that are hubcentric.

AEV wheels are hubcentric.
I believe Rugged Ridge wheels are also.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hub centric will, in theory, give you a better ride. It takes most of the wheel mounting variability out of the equation. It should also provide some level of longevity to your bearings, but that would be dependent on how closely the wheels mount up to center. Of course, having unbalanced or mis-balanced rubber on your rig negates any positive effects of hub-centric wheels!

Rugged Ridge, Hutchinson Rock Monster, AEV, and of course Mopar are all hub centric. Actually, any wheel that has a center bore of 71.5mm would be "hub centric".

An alternative would be to buy whatever wheel you want and put in hub rings. There are a s-load of rings out there with the center bore of 71.5mm. The outside diameter is dependent on the wheel you select.

Quick Reply: Hubcentric rims without hubcentric rings