Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hunting Dog Box

Old 09-16-2013, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hunting Dog Box

I just bought a 14 jku and I am stuck on what to do for a dog box. I do coon hunt a lot and I don't want the smell of dirty hounds in my new jeep when I'm not hunting. I was planning on building a custom box to fit in the rear receiver, but a buddy made the comment that the exhaust fumes wouldn't be good for the dogs. Any ideas on what to do?
Old 09-17-2013, 05:12 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

You could either give them a bath or get a pick-up
Old 09-17-2013, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

I've seen a couple guys with small trailers and dog boxes. Might work for you?

I just put down some towels to stop muddy foot prints in the back of mine when I bring the dog in the jeep.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:11 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by familytime
You could either give them a bath or get a pick-up
I'd goto a pet store and look at large dog carriers, they should fit in the back
Old 09-17-2013, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

I'm struggling with the same issue. I now have a second bird dog and can't get 2 large crates side by side in my jeep. I though about building a custom box to fit inside, but I don't think they would be able to move around. I've got too much money invested to let them hang off the hitch on the back.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AertepT
I'm struggling with the same issue. I now have a second bird dog and can't get 2 large crates side by side in my jeep. I though about building a custom box to fit inside, but I don't think they would be able to move around. I've got too much money invested to let them hang off the hitch on the back.
I agree! The receiver only has a tongue rating of 500lbs. I'm worried that with a custom box and two dogs bouncing around in it on the road, that I might lose them! I've seen some front bumpers with the receiver on them, but once again if I lose them going down the road it's pretty much game over. I have came to the conclusion that a trailer is going to be my best bet, even though they are not very easy on dogs. Either that build a crate for the back and have people at work wondering why I smell like river bottoms, swamps, and dead animals.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:28 PM
JK Junkie

Some people just don't get what kind of dogs these are

If you do the box out of aluminum then you should be good to go on weight and the dogs shouldn't ought to weigh that much......I know the beagles I've got don't.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-17-2013, 07:17 PM
JK Newbie

I competely understand coming from WV. Wouldn't let them anywhere inside a new vehicle let alone an old one. What about a hitch mounted box? Might have to fab...but seen up here where guys will weld a reciever into front bumper and mount/build a box so it attaches in front.

Hitch Mount Dog Box

No exhaust in dog box, happy dog.

Quick Reply: Hunting Dog Box