Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hypertech max energy programmer

Old 10-16-2016, 02:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hypertech max energy programmer

Does anyone use this? Watched a video that said it could help with the gearing issue when you had larger tires. For $300 I could get this until I'm ready to regear for 35s. Plus you can have custom programs for fuel, throttle response, daily driving, ect. Soooo many options. Too good to be true?
Old 10-18-2016, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

Anyone?
Old 10-18-2016, 04:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Tuners are NOT a replacement for proper gearing. Even the supercharger mfg's will suggest that you regear first.

What a tuner will do for you is add some 'small' amount of hp/torque to help out. (they advertise 20-25 hp up around 5000 rpm? So 8-10 hp that you might actually feel during normal driving?) Enough to offset the taller tires? Depends on which engine you have, your current gears, and the actual tire height. But I doubt it. For auto's, programming the proper tire size should also help with the shift points.

Not many people here use the Hypertech. You will find a ton of reviews for Superchips, some for Diablosport, and a bunch for the procal programmer if you end up going that route instead.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the Hypertech tuner on my 08 and have the SC on my 11. Honestly, can't say I really noticed one giving more power than the other. Do like the options of the SC though.

As stated, gearing is the best way to handle larger tire's.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:49 AM
JK Junkie

What year is your JK? I ran a Hypertech on my previous '08 JKU, mainly because I used it to:
  1. Calibrate my speedo when I was running 35" tires
  2. Used it to let the ECM know I changed gearing to 5.13s
  3. Used it to turn of my TPMS dash light when running aftermarket wheels using plain rubber valve stems
  4. when I ran 92 octane

If it did add some HP/TRQ it wasn't a huge increase but that wasn't the main reason for me getting one. It just helped me dial in my settings with the other mods I did.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by aldaman
What year is your JK? I ran a Hypertech on my previous '08 JKU, mainly because I used it to:[*]Calibrate my speedo when I was running 35" tires[*]Used it to let the ECM know I changed gearing to 5.13s[*]Used it to turn of my TPMS dash light when running aftermarket wheels using plain rubber valve stems[*] when I ran 92 octane If it did add some HP/TRQ it wasn't a huge increase but that wasn't the main reason for me getting one. It just helped me dial in my settings with the other mods I did.
I have a 2008 2 door. I'll be needing it for the same reason. In the video they said you could use this if you don't have the proper gearing for increased tire size. I was thinking of maybe getting this to make 35s and 3.21 gearing more bearable until I do properly regear.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like they say, it'll help if you have an automatic by changing the shift points but any programmer including the ProCal will do that. As for loss of power only regearing is really going to help. The most a programmer can do is adjust the throttle response and adjust timing. Chrysler did not hide power in the JK motors, the 3.8 design doesn't allow it much more power.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Sorry bud, with a 3.8 running 3.21's, it just won't add enough power to offset 35's and make it feel normal again. You will definitely feel the lack of power. If you have a manual, expect to always be one gear down from what you normally use. If you have an auto, press the OD Off button as soon as you start the engine.

Not trying to tell you to not get the 35's, or that you can't live with the performance - just letting you know not to expect a tuner to be a 'fix'...
Old 10-20-2016, 12:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Sorry bud, with a 3.8 running 3.21's, it just won't add enough power to offset 35's and make it feel normal again. You will definitely feel the lack of power. If you have a manual, expect to always be one gear down from what you normally use. If you have an auto, press the OD Off button as soon as you start the engine. Not trying to tell you to not get the 35's, or that you can't live with the performance - just letting you know not to expect a tuner to be a 'fix'...
I wasn't really expecting it to go back to normal with the programmer. Just seeing if would improve it any from not having any tune at all. Didn't realize procal was cheaper than hypertech. Probably going to go with that. Thanks guys for all the help.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

AEV ProCal (and Superchips Flashcal) is a 'programmer'. Not a tuner.

It will adjust the gear ratio and set the tire size, as well as a few other nifty things. It does not change the tune or add hp/torque.

The flashcal is internet upgradeable to a flashpaq tuner, if you decide at some later time to try the tunes. The procal has no screen, just dipswitches, and can not be turned into a tuner.

(for a personal opinion - Programmers: I like the procal much better than the flashcal, mainly due to issues with the products and the piss poor tech support at superchips. And for tuners: I was never impressed with the performance gains from the canned tunes I tried on either the superchips flashpaq or diablosport intune. Many people think the tunes are great, just wasn't my experience with either product...)

Quick Reply: Hypertech max energy programmer