Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I am nervous about Spidertrax spacers!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never used a torque wrench, however you can get them for about 30 bucks at harbor freight or about 50 at any auto store. I need to buy one but I never used one to install my spidertrax. I just used a large craftsman socket and ratchet. I am not concerned because of the locktight and that I work out, so I know they are tight.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dustoff '68
Times and technology may have changed, but I will always steer clear of wheel spacers...poor substitute for properly backspaced wheels...oh....and dangerous as well...my dos centavos.
Please show me ONE occurance of failure and I may side with you. The fact is they are safe and I trust them with my kid in the back seat.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had had them on my jk and they were fine. just make sure you put some lock tight on them they will be fine.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
Please show me ONE occurance of failure and I may side with you. The fact is they are safe and I trust them with my kid in the back seat.
Well, I have two colleagues who have lost wheels on their TJ's most recently...both had spacers on...I think the spacers are part of a larger problem...first, human error in installation and secondly, most who use spacers are also adding much larger tyres over the OEM sizes...this combo seems to add stress to ball joints, and other suspension components...spacers alone may not be an issue if installed correctly, and you just want a slightly wider stance...but when you just add spacers, a cheap hockey puck lift, add tonka toy tyres, and forget that all these initial mods impact a lot more of how your vehicle rides; ...it's almost as if you need to modify almost everything on your suspension, if you want all the parts to work perfectly and safely...I still believe that proper wheels are much safer then just adding artificial backspacing so you can accomodate a tyre that shouldn't really belong on the vehicle in the first place...just my dos centavos

Quick Reply: I am nervous about Spidertrax spacers!