Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

i got 40s!!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would cancel the order and re-order 35's....
Old 02-26-2013, 10:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Putting aside the obvious issues you will have on a dana 30 front, what are you running for a llift? You are going to need sufficient lift to create clearance as well as potential cutting/trimming (depends on how high you lift) of the body/pinch seam. And adding lots of height creates a whole entire other set of issues like driveshafts.

There are ways around it by trying to minimize the lift you put in but the trade-off is lots of cutting. A friend of mine runs 40's with 4 or 4.5" of lift but it required some trimming to avoid rubbing.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Factory housing with 40s its just a matter of a short while before you destroy your ball joints and bend the C's. You are basically screwed no matter what thou because even if you beef up the front housing if you re-gear that 30 you are going to blow that ring and pinion up front probably on the first real trail you go on. Buts lets assume you arent going to really wheel it even just daily driving you are going to bend those C's pretty easy. Maybe something like that new Tera 30 housing in the front if you are just going to street it. That is supposed to be as beefy a housing as a 60 and then you can just swap your stock stuff over to it. I mean it is not ideal for 40s but it is going to be a heck of alot better then what you are doing now.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, some people are so paranoid about 40's on a D30. Ok, couple of things. 5.38s are a bad idea in D30. the ring gear becomes too thin and you will snap it quick. The housing is weak, but not weaker than a D44. The Axle tubes, C's, and ball joints are all the same whether you have a D30 or a D44, the only thing that changes with the D44 is the axle shaft size and carrier size. So first thing is first, you need to decide how hard you wanna play.

Trails, woods, beach you can get by just fine building that D30 but you will not be able to gear it up high enough to get it to perform as well as it did stock. 5.13s are about the biggest you wanna go with in that D30. which will give you some of it back, but not anywhere near where you really wanna be. You will also wanna look at some C-gussets, Nitro sleeves, and a nice set of axle shafts. Those you will need to do whether you have a D30 or D44.

The big difference with the D44 is the carrier size. It will let you put a much better/stronger gear set in without it getting so thin that it becomes a weak point. This will allow you to do alot more things as you will actually have the power/durability to do so.

With any harder wheeling, such as rock or desert running, you will want to go get a set of D60s to run with these tires. This will allow you to have a much stronger Ring and Pinion, thicker axle shafts, thicker axle tubes, bigger brakes, bigger ball joints, and a tall enough gear ratio for you to still have power.

So what do you wanna use it for?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

Everythings on order but i ordered the 6" X-Series Rough Country lift, 18x9 Pro Comp alloys, extended driveshafts, and the Mickey Thompson 40s, just thought i needed the gears but apparently i was wrong hahaha

Im not using it for serious off road...the toughest trails out here in El Paso, Texas on a scale of 1-10 the toughest trail
is probably a 4 or 5...its mainly sand dunes out here

I know that 40s are too much for a jk without the proper equipment...i was actually getting 37s but you cant beat the deal i got... 4 Mickey Thompsons 40x13.50x18 for $750
Old 02-26-2013, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am running 38's, currently I have front and rear; evo sleeves, gussets, skids,....artec truss' with track bar brackets, 5:13's w true tracs, synergy ball joints, ten factory chromoly shafts, coast 1310 drive shafts, arb diff covers, dual steering stabilizers, and JKS adj trac bars..... So far so good.... I wheel mine so before I step into the 40+" tires I'd like to......see stronger axles like the Dana 60's , and while we're at it 14" evo coilovers, and 5.7 - 6.1 L
Old 02-26-2013, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CoreyZ

Uh.. no they dont. Rubi's were the only ones that came stock with 44's.
No rubicon is the only one with 44 front and rear. My jeep has a 44 in the rear
Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

This is a funny thread.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:35 PM
JK Freak

I find this thread difficult to believe. Will be interesting once it's "done".
Old 02-26-2013, 07:42 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nocoastfocus
This is a funny thread.
No doubt.

Maybe he is just joking.

Who would be nuts enough to buy a 6" short arm Rough Country lift? That's as crazy as running 40s on a Dana 30 with stock gears.

This is a joke, right?

Quick Reply: i got 40s!!