Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I need to be learned y'all....

Old 01-11-2015, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need to be learned y'all....

Alright men and ladies if there's any.... I'm going to try to make this short and sweet this is my first jeep I have a 2015 two door Safari And well I have no earthly idea what I'm doing.

Let me start by saying that if this was a Harley I would throw on D&D exhaust I would change out my cams I would put a tuner on it then i would get a Danny Gray for my butt to seat on and throw on some extension on my floorboards and call it a day

If this was an F250 I would put a spartan tuner and get some tires on it and beat it in the ground for three years until I break it and buy another one

Now my problem is that I love my jeep more than I've ever liked any other vehicle that I've ever had My second problem is that I don't want to make bad decisions with upgrading the suspension However I did jump the gun and it does have a Rubicon express 2.5 lift on it with a PROCOMP dual steering stabilizer in the front..... I am now looking at wheels and tires But I'm deathly afraid that I'm going to make a bad decision so if y'all have any input or maybe even a little bit of knowledge so that I can learn I would really appreciate it

I will never be climbing over rocks nor driving in creek beds however the jeep will be driving down Highline easements which occasionally are very muddy and rough with the lift that I have it is it not a good decision to get fuel 20 inch tires with Toyo 35's? i do need functionality and at the same time a little bit of style (not redneck ghetto fabulous style though) alright anyone thats got input thanks y'all really do appreciate it
Old 01-11-2015, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally like the old school look of 15 inch rims with bigger and wider tires... That what i went with cause its cheap and easy to find.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:49 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Open the two threads stuck right to the top of this modified area, 'FAQs' and 'Thoughts on Lifts'.

20" rims? Some people like the look, others don't. Personally, I would suggest a 17" rim (cheaper tires with a better selection), 8-9" wide (good width for most tires), 4.5" backspace (gets the bigger tires far enough out of the wheel wells) and of course a 5x5 bolt pattern.

Toyo's are very popular, but are known to be on the heavy side. Get more opinions and suggestions on other options before deciding.

2.5" lift, you may want to trim the flares or move to flats for offroad driving.

Gearing, depends on what you have now and how you feel the performance is with 35's.

Rubicon Express/ProComp, be prepared for some comments. If you like the ride, ignore them. If you have some issues that you want to address, give more info.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rubicon expr, procomp are junk lifts for the JK. There's reason 4wparts and who ever else sell these kits
Push people to buy them and then sell them the duel SS to mask the terrible handling they produce.IMO.....
Old 01-11-2015, 01:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TXLineguy
Alright men and ladies if there's any.... I'm going to try to make this short and sweet this is my first jeep I have a 2015 two door Safari And well I have no earthly idea what I'm doing.

Let me start by saying that if this was a Harley I would throw on D&D exhaust I would change out my cams I would put a tuner on it then i would get a Danny Gray for my butt to seat on and throw on some extension on my floorboards and call it a day

If this was an F250 I would put a spartan tuner and get some tires on it and beat it in the ground for three years until I break it and buy another one

Now my problem is that I love my jeep more than I've ever liked any other vehicle that I've ever had My second problem is that I don't want to make bad decisions with upgrading the suspension However I did jump the gun and it does have a Rubicon express 2.5 lift on it with a PROCOMP dual steering stabilizer in the front..... I am now looking at wheels and tires But I'm deathly afraid that I'm going to make a bad decision so if y'all have any input or maybe even a little bit of knowledge so that I can learn I would really appreciate it

I will never be climbing over rocks nor driving in creek beds however the jeep will be driving down Highline easements which occasionally are very muddy and rough with the lift that I have it is it not a good decision to get fuel 20 inch tires with Toyo 35's? i do need functionality and at the same time a little bit of style (not redneck ghetto fabulous style though) alright anyone thats got input thanks y'all really do appreciate it
I like you already.

Since you have already done your lift, I would go with 35s on 17s with 4.5" of backspacing. I have the BFG KM2s and have no problem with them on and off the highway, local streets, and forest roads with shallow creek crossings. I do not drive in the snow so I can't speak to that. Or rock crawl. But I think the 17s are the best choice whether you go with the Toyos, BFG, GY MTR/Ks or whatever.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. I decided to keep my stock 18 wheels when I bought my tires and did my lift. I plasti dipped them black and love the look so far. I went with nitto trail grapplers which I am very happy with.

If your not sure about wheels right now, you could always do what I did. Just make sure you get some wheel spacers. Good luck!!
Old 01-11-2015, 01:51 PM
JK Freak

Default never say never

it is a jeep you will explore you will encounter rocky trails you will crawl over rocks may not he hammers or calico or what ever but you will it is a JEEP
Old 01-11-2015, 02:06 PM
JK Freak

Stay away from 20" wheels. Save those for the ghetto tuners and F250's.
As others have said, 17" wheels with 4.5 backspacing.
Some don't like Toyo or Nitto tires as they're heavy and harsh riding as they are mostly E rated tires. Personally I love my Nitto trail grapplers.
You say you will encounter mud, so make sure you get a MT tire. AT's pack up with mud, and you're stuck.

I wouldn't have gone for the lift you have, but that's not really a problem, others run it and like it.
If you haven't extended your bump stops, I'd think of that too.
You mentioned tuners on other vehicles. I wouldn't recommend that yet, but with 35's, you're probably going to want to regear.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Billbikes
Stay away from 20" wheels. Save those for the ghetto tuners and F250's.
As others have said, 17" wheels with 4.5 backspacing.
Some don't like Toyo or Nitto tires as they're heavy and harsh riding as they are mostly E rated tires. Personally I love my Nitto trail grapplers.
You say you will encounter mud, so make sure you get a MT tire. AT's pack up with mud, and you're stuck.

I wouldn't have gone for the lift you have, but that's not really a problem, others run it and like it.
If you haven't extended your bump stops, I'd think of that too.
You mentioned tuners on other vehicles. I wouldn't recommend that yet, but with 35's, you're probably going to want to regear.
Here is another one , get what you want because if you do what these guys say then later you will be doing it over

You are fine running 35s and 20s nothing wrong with it besides these guys comments , don't know your choice of wheels but look for something around 4.5 back space
Old 01-11-2015, 02:28 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by jaker t5
...You are fine running 35s and 20s nothing wrong with it besides these guys comments ...
Please explain to me why there's "nothing wrong" if anyone with half a clue is laughing at you behind your back. I'm all for make your own Jeep, but at least be honest and explain that most people think that 20s look stupid with 35s. And then if he wants to look stupid, hey who are we to keep him from his destiny?

Quick Reply: I need to be learned y'all....