Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I think I found the cause of the t.b. whistle

Old 03-01-2007, 04:43 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Intakes whistle.....plain and simple. The whistle comes from the shape of the throttle body as the air goes over the lip on the inside, it's an hourglass design. If you bore the throttle body out, no more whistling. Whistling is generally thought to be a good sign as you can tell your getting not only more air, but a faster flow. I'd be leary of using any RTV on the intake section: Would you want that to come off and get sucked in a valve? The air temperature sensor may not like the RTV unless you use 'sensor safe'. Just in my honest opinion.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry everyone but jeepik and quadratec were right in their above posts.

I got everything ready to fix it, I pull off the throttle body and the rtv i put in there that I thought came out was still in there so the whistle has nothing to do with the gap.

I figure I'll live with the problem until I get a louder exhaust to drown out the whistle.

Last edited by chvynova; 03-01-2007 at 05:00 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

For the record, I have the whistle and I do not have an aftermarket CAI yet. Noticed the whistle pretty clearly yesterday while pulling my trailer under load up an incline. Almost sounds diesel like (very lightweight diesel).
Old 05-15-2007, 07:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepik
it doesnt whistle because of that

increased airflow makes it whistle

most aftermarket intakes make whistles

the stock intake is very restrictive and much less air flows to the TB, hence no wistle
Disagree. The intake on my Lotus as well as the BMW both make a "woosh" sound...like a vacuum cleaner. My thought is that is has something to do with the plastic vs an aluminium tube.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:47 AM
G16
JK Enthusiast

Interesting question by Nova. My airaid filter does not whistle.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rugbyduck
Disagree. The intake on my Lotus as well as the BMW both make a "woosh" sound...like a vacuum cleaner. My thought is that is has something to do with the plastic vs an aluminium tube.
I have the AEM with the polished aluminum tube and same deal. It squeals like a pig. At a certain rpm I can keep it squealing as long as I want which can extremely annoying. Touch more gas or let off and it stops. I could only wish I had just the "woosh" sound when getting on it, but the nails acrossed a chalkboard sound , never heard any other CAI do this on other vehicles.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just pulled my AEM off because of the whistle. Baby's and the wife couldn't stand it. Never did find a good cure for it. Still pulls well with the stock intake, just renoticed the flat spot on the RPM's.

Ron
Old 05-15-2007, 08:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rugbyduck

incorrect

i ran both plastic and metal tubes on my previous cars, still the sound, the only thing i can think of is the actual butterfly is not opening fast enough, now that the air is coming in faster, hard to tell

i have a buddy with an m5 and he has dual intakes on it, and it whistles as well
Old 05-15-2007, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

My brother has the AEM on his TJ Rubi and it whistles too.....so its not just the JK's that do it.
His only does it at certain rpms for a quick second though.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a whistle with my AEM CAI. I started tinkering around and here is what I found. After original install the whistle came on between 1500-2000 RPMs. I went in and tightened all the ring screws. The whistle intensity decreased significantly and only came on between 1700-1800 RPMs. I pulled all of the CAI parts off (except the heat shield) cleaned the connections and reinstalled. I used a good amount of force on the ring screws. Now there is only a very faint whistle for half a second as I cross 1800 RPMs.

So tighten those things up and you should be able to dramatically reduce the "dreaded whistle". I'll keep messing with it and repost if I eliminate it completely.

Quick Reply: I think I found the cause of the t.b. whistle