Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Icon Track Bar Adjustment

Old 10-20-2015, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Icon Track Bar Adjustment

I recently picked up an Icon adjustable front track bar. The end joint contains an adjustable collar with a number of holes intended for a spanner. The box did not include a spanner, so I contacted Icon and asked how to purchase this vital tool. There response was "we don't make or sell a spanner of that size." They further recommended that I just use an Allen wrench as a substitute... I've tried that previously on some RaceRunner struts years ago, over time the holes got so wallowed out they became impossible to adjust.

In short, is anyone running one of these? If so, what are you using to make your adjustments? The collar appears to be made of aluminum and is extremely soft. I don't want to wallow these out.

Any advice is welcome.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back when i was trying to choose an adjustable trackbar for my Franken setup, i looked at the Icon TB because of its price, the only thing that kept me away from it, were their instructions that said something about trimming out the factory trackbar bracket to clear the TB pinch block, i didn't know how much of an issue that task was, but because my local suspension shop was doing the install, i wanted to go with a setup that required the least amount of work during install time, so things that had to be notched, trimmed, cut, shaved, etc, etc, in their respective instructions were out of the pic for me.

I went with the Synergy adjustable, which in essence is the same thing. You will only adjust the length once, i adjusted mine to 32 3/4" eye to eye if i remember correctly, and handed it that way to my guys to install it. They did the alignment as well after everything was installed, and i haven't touched ever since. I went 2" lower recently rom my initial lift, basically switching out coil springs, and the alignment still came out great, the guys at the shop didn't have to touch the trackbar as far as i know, most people will say is not needed with just 2-2.5" lift, but i still did it because of the horror stories about DW. so far so so good, and i've zero issues, knocking on wood.

I also remember calling Synergy to see if they had a spanner for the adjuster collar, and they said they didn't, but a punch will do the job, i figure it shouldn't be that hard to adjust as you have to loose the pinch bolts first, but this is something i haven't have the need for.

Hope it helps.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rsmwrangler
... I also remember calling Synergy to see if they had a spanner for the adjuster collar, and they said they didn't, but a punch will do the job, i figure it shouldn't be that hard to adjust as you have to loose the pinch bolts first, but this is something i haven't have the need for. Hope it helps.
Helps a great deal, I hadn't considered a punch as an alternative. As to the cutting, I must admit that I didn't research as well as I should have.

Once I received the bar and read the instructions, my first instinct was to return it. But I slept on it and reconsidered. Icon is a great company (from what I've read) and if they say cut, it should be okay to do so. I just wasn't expecting it. It's a small wedge, it should be fine.

But really, I haven't even installed my lift yet, I'm waiting on my new wheels/tires. I went with a teraflex 3". It's killing me having everything sitting in the garage collecting dust. But the wheels and tires should be here the first part of next week. Then the fun will begin.

I'm going to call Northridge4x4 tomorrow and discuss my exchange alternatives. In the end I may just keep it, I'm not sure.

Cheers!!
Old 10-21-2015, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone have any advice on this? I emailed Northridge4x4 this evening, we'll see what they can do or advise.

So far I've tried a thick Allen wrench, a fine thread bolt, and a punch, they all caused distortion and I've only managed to turn the collar .25 of an inch. At this point I'm pissed and want a new bar. How the hell can I adjust a track bar that's so freaking tight it can't be adjusted?!! I know I can force it to rotate, but the sleeve with get destroyed in the process, or I'll get so pissed it'll end up thrown through the f'ing wall. Neither situation would be good. Big time fail on Icon's part for not making/selling a spanner for their products.

I guess at this point I'm venting... I have 6k$ worth of parts just sitting on the floor in my garage... Errrrr!!

Last edited by BAJA TYM; 10-21-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good luck with N4x4. They have good service. I buy a lot from them. I ran JKS on my last Jeep and would recommend them. Good price point and solid. No cutting to install. Jam nut can be a pain to tighten due to size. It will hit the front diff though if you have less than 2" of bump stop.

This time around I picked up a Teraflex front track bar when N4x4 was running their Plus5 sale. That got it down to a reasonable price. No cutting to install. Factory style, replaceable bushings, no special tools to adjust and you make adjustments while the bar is mounted to the Jeep. Couldn't be happier with it.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TxJeepers
Good luck with N4x4. They have good service. I buy a lot from them. I ran JKS on my last Jeep and would recommend them. Good price point and solid. No cutting to install. Jam nut can be a pain to tighten due to size. It will hit the front diff though if you have less than 2" of bump stop. This time around I picked up a Teraflex front track bar when N4x4 was running their Plus5 sale. That got it down to a reasonable price. No cutting to install. Factory style, replaceable bushings, no special tools to adjust and you make adjustments while the bar is mounted to the Jeep. Couldn't be happier with it.
Yep, Northridge4x4 is awesome. I buy most of my stuff from them. I spoke with the sales manager this afternoon, he contacted Icon. Icon informed him that their people would never advise a customer to use an Allen wrench to adjust a collar. So I sent them the email Icon sent to me. Icon is now sending a replacement collar. Once I got confirmation that a new collar was coming, I took a pair of channel locks and forced the collar to rotate. Looks like half the threads were dry. I'll add a little anti-seize to the new one and buy a 3/8 pin punch to use as my spanner. I'll never buy an Icon product again. I don't appreciate being called a liar.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn sorry to hear about your issues with Icon, i've used their coilovers before, and rear shocks on my FJ, rear shocks broke couple of times so i did the switch to Radflo, and never had any other issues after that, but that was years ago though.
I was going to ask if you were loosening the pinch bolts all the way before turning the collar ? but i see there might be an issue with the collar itself after your last post.
and yes, adding anti seize to the threads is a good idea.

Good luck.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rsmwrangler
Damn sorry to hear about your issues with Icon, i've used their coilovers before, and rear shocks on my FJ, rear shocks broke couple of times so i did the switch to Radflo, and never had any other issues after that, but that was years ago though. I was going to ask if you were loosening the pinch bolts all the way before turning the collar ? but i see there might be an issue with the collar itself after your last post. and yes, adding anti seize to the threads is a good idea. Good luck.
I'm actually surprised to be having an issue at all. Icon is a pretty good company. I understand that issues happen. My only end complaint is with them questioning my integrity. I don't like being called a liar. In the end their doing me right by replacing the collar, but their attitude sucks. Northridge4x4 was, and is, awesome.

As to the pinch bolts, I actually removed them, it made no difference. The collar itself seems to have either been over tightened or simply seized.

I wish I would have done a little more research prior to my purchase. I didn't expect to be cutting the factory mount. But that's my fault.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Synergy suggests using a 1/4" punch, that will probably work with the Icon bar. If it's as tight as you say take the end joint and adjuster apart and clean all the threads. Lube with anti-seize and reassemble. Should adjust easily.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:41 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by SoK66
Synergy suggests using a 1/4" punch, that will probably work with the Icon bar. If it's as tight as you say take the end joint and adjuster apart and clean all the threads. Lube with anti-seize and reassemble. Should adjust easily.
X2
I took my Synergy bar off, disassembled the adjuster, cleaned everything up and it was still tough to adjust. I ended up taking a wooden wedge and banging it in between the clamps. This made it easily adjustable by hand.
I sold the bar but told the new owner to keep the wedge in place until the axle was centered.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-452518237.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	726.1 KB
ID:	628314  

Quick Reply: Icon Track Bar Adjustment