Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

i'm another dumb*** that went against the grain for lift now begging for forgiveness

Old 12-03-2014, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This!

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I would look around and see if people have parts you need laying around. I would guess your main issues with the jeep is the lack of steering correction, caster, and proper gearing. A budget boost makes the most sense for what you are doing but don't expect to regain the factory ride with a 2.5" lift. Persanally if you want the "look" flat fenders will give you the look of a 4" lift while giving you the clearacne to run 35" tires on the stock suspension and maintaining the factory ride. Good luck witht he mods.
This^^^

sitting on 35's with flat fenders. The wife wasn't sure about it (its her jeep) but I did it anyway. She loved it after it was all said and done. I will admit that I don't prefer some cut fenders out there due to the angles and what not but I do like mine (hers). And again... 35's and factory ride.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the Rancho Sport 2" package but replaced the rear pucks with Rubicon Express 2.5" springs. The adjustable shocks are great for my needs (lots of highway and lots of lease/fire roads in the woods). They are also pretty easy to adjust. I'll be moving up the tire size once mine need replacing. I would start a trouble shooting process though before you go spending money changing stuff that might not be at fault.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1050334572.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	586622
Old 12-03-2014, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2013 JKU Sahara with 3.21s and I installed a 2" Rubicon Express BB with shock extensions, 1.5" wheel spacers and 35x12.5x18 Kumho MTs. No problems at all on the highway and I commute 90 miles a day. The speedo is a little off and it down shift a bit more up hill, but I'll eventually get a procal to correct that. I wheel it a few times a month too and I have no problems.

Sounds like you have something else going on then a a lift problem. I know people that run that lift and have no issues with daily driving.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-188321340.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	586623  

Last edited by lvd76; 12-03-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Before you start indiscriminately swapping out parts, you might verify what is actually installed. The lift came with all 8 arms? Or is the kit that came with one set of fixed lower control arms? Or are cam bolts installed also? What is your caster set at? You indicated that it has a drop pitman. Was the trackbar relo bracket installed also, or just the pitman? What psi were you running the 35's at? For the initial install, were all of the bolts tightened while the jeep was in the air? Or sitting on the ground under full vehicle weight after shaking it around? Have you found Planmans writeup on deathwobble? (stuck to the top of the Write-ups area). Wouldn't be a bad idea to go through it and check all of your components/rod ends/joints/etc to see if anything is loose or worn out.

Not trying to talk you out of swapping lifts, just figuring out what the actual problem is before throwing money at it.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

So the kit you have comes with the following:

◾Lifted coil springs
◾Fixed lower control arms
◾Track bar drop bracket
◾Pitman arm
◾Brake line relocation brackets
◾Hardware
Rear
◾Lifted coil springs
◾Coil correction plates
◾Track bar drop bracket
◾Extended sway-bar links
◾Hardware
Shocks
◾(4) Premium N2.0 Series

Nobody is going to argue that these are not the best quality parts however, if installed properly and baring any other mechanical issues, it shouldn't be as bad as you describe. Rough country does offer a lifetime warranty on all their parts so I would look first to the installation and other components as others have said ball joints etc.. Replace any that look suspect and check our your alignment before you just tear into it again.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rsbmg
So the kit you have comes with the following:

◾Lifted coil springs
◾Fixed lower control arms
◾Track bar drop bracket
◾Pitman arm
◾Hardware
Rear
◾Lifted coil springs
◾Coil correction plates
◾Track bar drop bracket
◾Extended sway-bar links
◾Hardware
Shocks
◾(4) Premium N2.0 Series

Nobody is going to argue that these are not the best quality parts however, if installed properly and baring any other mechanical issues, it shouldn't be as bad as you describe. Rough country does offer a lifetime warranty on all their parts so I would look first to the installation and other components as others have said ball joints etc.. Replace any that look suspect and check our your alignment before you just tear into it again.
Yep, that's the one. I agree with many of you who suggest going thru it point-by-point, and hope to get to inspecting it this weekend. That being said, I've already replaced and sold my 35 toyo MTs so i'm gonna stay w/the 33s. That makes it look like a roller skate right now, so dropping it back down some (2-2.5 lift) while gaining a better ride is the goal.
I'd love to simply spend the $$$ on some 2.5" quality shocks and coils if they were plug & play for the current 3.5" lift, but I can't find any conclusive evidence in the forums that this NOT create issues. Additionally, I called RC and told them my dilemma; they said to remove entire kit and replace if I wanted less than the 3.5" it provides.
thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions
Old 12-04-2014, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Have you found Planmans writeup on deathwobble? (stuck to the top of the Write-ups area). Wouldn't be a bad idea to go through it and check all of your components/rod ends/joints/etc to see if anything is loose or worn out.
Awesome read! had missed it somehow... great advise.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bordhed
Yep, that's the one. I agree with many of you who suggest going thru it point-by-point, and hope to get to inspecting it this weekend. That being said, I've already replaced and sold my 35 toyo MTs so i'm gonna stay w/the 33s. That makes it look like a roller skate right now, so dropping it back down some (2-2.5 lift) while gaining a better ride is the goal.
I'd love to simply spend the $$$ on some 2.5" quality shocks and coils if they were plug & play for the current 3.5" lift, but I can't find any conclusive evidence in the forums that this NOT create issues. Additionally, I called RC and told them my dilemma; they said to remove entire kit and replace if I wanted less than the 3.5" it provides.
If you are going to stick with the 33's for sure then I agree you would probably be better off going back to stock. You might get a few bucks for the parts or perhaps even trade someone who is short on cash and would be willing to trade you stock for the RC lift. Everybody wins. Then they can come on here and complain about it later hahah Good luck!
Old 12-05-2014, 05:44 AM
JK Newbie

quick update: Ben from Rough Country PM'd me and asked me to call him. I figured it couldn't hurt and man am I glad I did.

1st - genuinely a VERY nice guy and I could tell he was concerned and determined to help me out. it was obvious right away that he wasn't simply trying to get good feedback on a forum, he wanted to make sure i was happy (and safe).

2nd- after running thru a few scenarios, he suggested i check the trackbar bolts 1st. sure enough, theres a visible gap next to the bushing. it's obviously been that way a long time (because the jeep has driven like crap since install). also, even though there's a gap, it won't turn without using a breaker bar. so i assume even after i get it tightened back up, i'll still need to replace the bolt and trackbar for proper fitment.

3rd- i will get this issue resolved and then proceed onto lowering it down to the 2.5" i'm shooting for. Ben did say that i'd be fine leaving the LCAs on the front (should help w/caster), so i really just need to install OEM pitman arm and remove trackbar drop brackets. then i can swap shocks and coils for whatever i desire.

4th- and yes, i will inspect and re-torque everything as suggested this time ha!

i know some here like RC and some here hate RC, but Ben was awesome on the phone and i'm grateful he spent the time walking me thru everything. so customer service wins out this time for me.

thanks again for all the input, you guys rock
Old 12-05-2014, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bordhed
Y I called RC and told them my dilemma; they said to remove entire kit and replace if I wanted less than the 3.5" it provides.
Sounds like excellent customer service!

Quick Reply: i'm another dumb*** that went against the grain for lift now begging for forgiveness