Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I'm back! Need some serious advice and second opinion.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

find a friend or group to wheel with, NEVER wheel alone nothing good ever comes of it.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK505
Welcome back and welcome to the forum. There's a very informative sticky here that may help you with some of your questions:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/

You'll hear a thousand opinions on lifts and here's mine!
Thanks for the link and the recommendations. I have read that thread before but it was helpful to re-read it. I have my wheels/tires selected already and I have decided on a bumper I'm just trying to figure out short or long bumper but that's for another thread, another day. Thanks for the tire mount recommendation as well. With at 35/37 on the back I definitely want something a little more robust then the door mount. Glad to hear your happy with the sunshade, can't wait to get it.

Originally Posted by nthinuf
I really hope that was mistyped. Wife and 3 kids, and looks are more important than safe drive-ability?

Why are you so worried about ...
I think you miss interpreted what I was saying. I don't want to sacrifice safety for looks but I'm willing to sacrifice comfort/gas mileage/highway performance for style. Yes you can argue that modifying any vehicle compromises the factory safety specifications so maybe you have a point but that doesn't change a large majority of Jeep owners driving their kids around in a modified vehicle. Again, I think my statement was misinterpreted. I do want to get a handle on lift problems and that's why I am posting this thread and learning more about it. I appreciate the recommendations.

Originally Posted by Tripletsi
You ordered the 4.10 gears correct? If not, that'll be a $2000 mistake.

You plan looks like you're moving in the right direction, but again I'd research a bit more.

You're missing the most important accessory; ARMOR...
I absolutely ordered the 4.10 gears. Excellent recommendation on the armor. I have to be honest, it wasn't on my list but it is now. Thank you

Originally Posted by DaK
I'd drive it around for awhile. The difference between this jeep and your old jeep in stock trim are light yrs apart. You may find for what you want to the stock JKUR is just fine.

Before going all out AEV check out the other lifts, Teraflex, Rock Krawler and so on. Bilstein 5100's are good shocks for on and off road and won't break the bank. Either teraflex 4" or rock krawler 3.5" with the bilsteins and 35" tires will give you an excellent ride on and off road. As for the rest of it, you will want to dig around on the sites, Rockhard, Poison Spyder and so on to figure out what appeals to you.

Some things you didn't mention...
Thanks for the great recommendations. After my YJ I bought a CJ so really I'm going from a CJ to JK and I can't wait for the difference. I am also 100% confident that a stock JK sport, would be able to handle what I'm likely to throw at it when wheeling and the stock Rubi would be ideal. I still want to change the way it looks. I have done this with all my vehicles in the past and that's the best part of something new... make it my own style. Thanks again for the Teraflex/Rock Crawler recommendations. Some great youtube vids by the people at Teraflex.

Originally Posted by wnyjpgy
I don't normally comment on alot of topics, but I'll chime in...

I may be attending a ride up your way soon, check out trailfest.ca
Hi neighbour (not neighbor), thanks for the post. We have similar weather but you definitely get more snow. I had the duratrac on the top of my list and I think they will shine here in southern Ontario so thanks! I will check out the trailfest.ca site and see what that's all about. Perhaps we'll share a cold one. Something Canadian of course!

Originally Posted by Joe_B
You may want to give Jim at rockspyder4x4 a call. He is a serious jeep builder and builds custom rigs as well as mild ones. He'll know how to setup the jeep for you. I don't use Just Jeeps as they are a bolt-on shop and pretty much sell shitty pro-comp and rugged ridge components.
Awesome! Thanks for sharing, he's seems very limited in choices but he carries all the aev stuff so that's a good thing. Any experience with 4 Wheel Parts in Burlington? Thank's again for the referral.

Originally Posted by Mall_Cruzer
You rolled a jeep and now you want to take your kids in one for some off-roadin? Oh my!
You are correct. I rolled my Jeep in a car accident when I was 17. I was ran off the road by a driver who fell asleep at the wheel and had to head to the ditch to avoid a head-on collission. Not sure what that has to do about wheeling with my son but thanks for your judgement, your condescending $0.02, and the warm welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
For the wheeling you describe you would be better off leaving it stock or at the most adding a puck level kit and addressing the weak points with armor. I would look at LCA skids, relocate the steering stabilizer, oil pan armor, and C-gussets and then wheel it.
Hi Rob, thanks for the recommendations. Your the second person to mention the steering stabilizer, I will have to look into that as well. Thanks again
Old 03-04-2015, 10:50 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Take a look around at some of the current jk builds, you don't need quite as much lift height for the tire sizes you are looking at. Our 2.5" kits will fit a 35 with factory flares just fine and if you add a flat fender you can put a 37 on that same lift height. This can keep drive line happier and won't require as much if any steering corrections.

RK
Old 03-04-2015, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
Take a look around at some of the current jk builds, you don't need quite as much lift height for the tire sizes you are looking at. Our 2.5" kits will fit a 35 with factory flares just fine and if you add a flat fender you can put a 37 on that same lift height. This can keep drive line happier and won't require as much if any steering corrections.

RK
Is there a 2 1/2 in your arsenal that you recommend over another?
Old 03-04-2015, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mall_Cruzer
You rolled a jeep and now you want to take your kids in one for some off-roadin? Oh my!
That's kind of a ridiculous statement.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:51 PM
Former Member

Go nuts with whatever but after a lift that was undrivable from Just j--ps on my rig a while back I ran right back in there with a WTF moment. The drivetrain vibration would shake your teeth out at 30kph. I knew as soon as I was on the 401 that the pinion angles to the the diffs were f'd cause they didn't install the bevelled shims that came with the kit. XJ with leaf springs.
Took it back and they sent the 'lead mechanic' out with me for a drive and as he's almost being chucked out the sunroof from the vibrations he says, and I quote, "oh this is normal for a Rubicon Express 2.5" lift".
Went to counter after drive and they stood behind the 'we got your coin and f'u' stance.
A week later I found a guy in Bowmanville with a towing yard and offroad shop (pm me for name) and after 2 attempts at the correct pinion angle fixed those other guys screw-up for free. What really blew my mind is they torch cut the new u-bolts to length so poorly that he replaced those for free too because they couldn't be loosened off for the shim install.
Guess who I do and Don't use now. Go ahead and follow the flock to the slaughter or look to the left and right.

Last edited by 101gargoyles; 03-04-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Good day, "My immediate area" brother. I'm in Newmarket and picked up a 14 JKUR last year after trading in a stock 12 JKUR. I outfitted mine to do the very same fun that you described and it's my DD into Markham. Very happy with the outfit I chose. I took this one to Jim at Rock Spyder for my AEV lift, tires and rims. I wouldn't take it to anyone but Jim now. The service was absolutely unmatched. And we meet every summer Tuesday night in Aurora at the Tim's just to shoot the shit with a large group of Jeep wheelers. Some of the nicest folk I've ever met. Jim provides ongoing support for any questions or concerns I have. If you want to speak about my build, PM me and I'll give you my info to drop me a line. Welcome back!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DLB_5529sm.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	599711  
Old 03-04-2015, 04:46 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by frontside720
Is there a 2 1/2 in your arsenal that you recommend over another?
Isn't this where the link to the Thoughts on Lifts thread comes in? They have a base kit with front/rear axle centering but no caster correction. Then a kit that adds caster correction. Then a kit with caster correction up front and pinion correction in back. And then... You need to come up with a budget and decide which components are important to you.

my preference would be to pass on the base kit because caster correction is kinda nice to have. Since you have a 4door, rear pinion shouldn't be a big deal. So if budget is an issue, go for the Flex system and slowly add components to make it a Max travel or X-Factor. If budget isn't a factor, go nuts.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
Go nuts with whatever but after a lift that was undrivable from Just j--ps on my rig a while back I ran right back in there with a WTF moment. The drivetrain vibration would shake your teeth out at 30kph. I knew as soon as I was on the 401 that the pinion angles to the the diffs were f'd cause they didn't install the bevelled shims that came with the kit. XJ with leaf springs.
Took it back and they sent the 'lead mechanic' out with me for a drive and as he's almost being chucked out the sunroof from the vibrations he says.....
Wow what a shitty review!! I have heard a few things from that place. That's really a shame.

Originally Posted by BlazeJK
Good day, "My immediate area" brother. I'm in Newmarket and picked up a 14 JKUR last year after trading in a stock 12 JKUR. I outfitted mine to do the very same fun that you described and it's my DD into Markham. Very happy with the outfit I chose. I took this one to Jim at Rock Spyder for my AEV lift, tires and rims. I wouldn't take it to anyone but Jim now. The service was absolutely unmatched. And we meet every summer Tuesday night in Aurora at the Tim's just to shoot the shit with a large group of Jeep wheelers. Some of the nicest folk I've ever met. Jim provides ongoing support for any questions or concerns I have. If you want to speak about my build, PM me and I'll give you my info to drop me a line. Welcome back!
I have heard about Rock Spyder too but it's just a real pain in the ass to head across the city. Thanks for the referral.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

Well it was an expensive day yesterday but I had some excellent advice from Aaron at 4 Wheel Parts in Burlington. It's nice to chat with someone who will tell you "I would love to sell you this expensive lift but all you need is X" I was there for a couple hours and sorted out my wheels and lift. I ended up going with the 2.5" Teraflex Lift Kit with fox shocks.

I dealt with 4 Wheel Parts in the past and they were great. 10 min away too so that's convenient or expensive... probably both.

Parts are on order and so is the Jeep but when it all comes in, I will post some pics.

Thanks again for all you help.

Quick Reply: I'm back! Need some serious advice and second opinion.