Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Install a Rear Locker on "X" question

Old 11-16-2006, 02:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Install a Rear Locker on "X" question

I do have the Trac Loc now in my "X', if I want to upgrade to rear locker what will the advantage be, & is it worth the $$$$ to get it.?? I'm in the mood to upgrade a little now and this seems like a good one. I'm also thinking some sort of sway bar disco's (manual or E's) would be in order. I'd like to install one or the other for the 1st Mod, which one, I just don't know yet. I'd like to go aftermarket but I'm scared of a warranty issue, but I know a dealer will kill me on the $$$$cost. If you guy's think the Trac Loc with E-Disco's would work real good for me, I'll start with that. Input from you guy's will be be greatly appreciated and will no doubt be the way I'll go. If any of you know some pricing of each one of these mods lay it on me even if it hurts.. I need some idea's from any of you. Thx.

Last edited by nam6869usmc; 11-16-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:23 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you can afford it, selectable lockers like the kind ARB make are always a better choice over a limited slip like the Trac-Lok. The biggest advantage of course is the ability to completely lock up the rear when you need it giving you ultimate traction and then turning it off for when you're on the street or if you're driving 4WD in slippery conditions like snow or ice. The biggest downside to something like ARB's is that they are expensive ($1500 per axle) and currently, not even available for the JK's. A limited slip can do the job okay but not like a real locker can and it can still cause some sliding issues when driving in the snow/ice.

Now, if you were just thinking about installing an auto locker like an Aussie Locker, that would only be a good solution if you didn't already have a Trac-Lok as it can only be installed in an open carrier. Also, an auto locker can be very difficult to drive in the snow/ice.

Last but not least, if you're going to do this, you should really consider re-gearing at the same time as most of the cost here is in labor. Since everything is already coming out, you might as well take advantage of the situation
Old 11-16-2006, 02:35 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ARB's is that they are expensive ($1500 per axle)
Close but the arb's typically run around $800 Per axle plus gears 145 and overhaul kit 85.

You will need a compressor if you dont already have one $145-$235.

And then labor is usually 250-500 per axle. But that is with or with out the arb.

Arb should have something by the first of the year. And Liek eddie said I dont think there is any locker for the JK yet.

David
Old 11-16-2006, 02:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
If you can afford it, selectable lockers like the kind ARB make are always a better choice over a limited slip like the Trac-Lok. The biggest advantage of course is the ability to completely lock up the rear when you need it giving you ultimate traction and then turning it off for when you're on the street or if you're driving 4WD in slippery conditions like snow or ice. The biggest downside to something like ARB's is that they are expensive ($1500 per axle) and currently, not even available for the JK's. A limited slip can do the job okay but not like a real locker can and it can still cause some sliding issues when driving in the snow/ice.

Now, if you were just thinking about installing an auto locker like an Aussie Locker, that would only be a good solution if you didn't already have a Trac-Lok as it can only be installed in an open carrier. Also, an auto locker can be very difficult to drive in the snow/ice.

Last but not least, if you're going to do this, you should really consider re-gearing at the same time as most of the cost here is in labor. Since everything is already coming out, you might as well take advantage of the situation
Wayoflife. your way to quick with an answer, quite a gentlemen. Ok, good education and cost is indeed pretty salty. I already have the 4.10 rear withe tow package , but still would be costly.
" Manual or E Disco's" are probably much less cost as for a Mod and give way more articulation then I have stock,, need your mind again, if you would give me some info on this Mod and cost if you can. I have air tools and I'm not a mechanic but can install if possible ,,,Thx
Old 11-16-2006, 11:51 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by nam6869usmc
"Manual or E Disco's" are probably much less cost as for a Mod and give way more articulation then I have stock,, need your mind again, if you would give me some info on this Mod and cost if you can. I have air tools and I'm not a mechanic but can install if possible ,,,Thx
Although there are some manual sway bar discos available for the JK now, I personally would wait for some of the other manufactuers like JKS to come out with a set. Of all the ones I have run on my TJ, the ones JKS made were some of the best made and easiest to use.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no aftermarket e-discos available at this time.

Now, if you were looking for a dual rate sway bar system, I know that TeraFlex has their S/T System out now and Full Traction should have their Rok-n-Lok system out soon as well. For me personally, there's no better solution than this as you can get ultimate stability both on and off the pavement.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:51 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
Close but the arb's typically run around $800 Per axle plus gears 145 and overhaul kit 85.

You will need a compressor if you dont already have one $145-$235.

And then labor is usually 250-500 per axle. But that is with or with out the arb.

Arb should have something by the first of the year. And Liek eddie said I dont think there is any locker for the JK yet.

David
Oops, I stand corrected

Quick Reply: Install a Rear Locker on "X" question