Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed my Hubcentric Ebay AL wheel spacers today

Old 06-14-2010, 09:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe It's me but an item like this that's Quality/Safety has been researched and confirmed by so many would be worth ignoring for what amounts to a relative paltry $80.

Last edited by JKRINGO; 06-14-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:46 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

One thing I didn't see was who actually made those spacers?

Just looked at the ebay store for 'garageracing super store' again. No items for sale, no address or phone number, no physical location - made a few sets in his basement?

Last edited by nthinuf; 06-14-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:51 PM
JK Super Freak

I've been running my ebay spacers for more than a year now, greater than 10K miles, with no problem.
Don't know who makes them, but it's not like they're terribly complex. 5x5 spacing, hub centric. Probably got a mill that cranks them out. Mine haven't pitted, warmed, corroded, cracked, or done anything. When I retorqued them all the nuts were still snug. I've rotated my tires twice since installing them and haven't noticed anything.
As with everything, there is a buyer beware. But I've had good luck with this.

(although truthfully, if people didn't buy something that other people make negative comments about, then none of us would own a JK.)
Old 06-14-2010, 02:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
truthfully, if people didn't buy something that other people make negative comments about, then none of us would own a JK.
Amen, brother.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Of course if we were all super safety like some of us claim to be then maybe we shouldn't put larger than recommended tire sizes and lifts on our jeeps or even take them off road for that matter because that's creating un-wanted risk. The fact is some people choose to take risks by taking their 31k dollar jeep through that unknown mud hole which may bog it down or roll it for that matter and the seat belt fails because it wasn't approved by NASA and driver and passenger get ejected or crushed underneath. or someone could save a couple bucks on some spacers taking a chance that there are some manufacturers out there that may screw up making an aluminum circle. Maybe we should all buy scooters and keep it on the roads doing about 25 mph. Of course someone would question if the other persons foam retard helmet met the DOT's specs for super safety. Enjoy your purchase!!! let us know if it turns out to be crap!
Old 06-28-2010, 06:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ranger, you're confusing the issue.

Assuming risk by participating in a potentially dangerous hobby is one thing; choosing inferior parts and accessories when there are objectively stronger, more durable options available is another.

By your logic, skydiving and willingly packing a faulty chute are synonymous. It's a specious argument at best. You're way off base here.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Under Dawg
Ranger, you're confusing the issue.

Assuming risk by participating in a potentially dangerous hobby is one thing; choosing inferior parts and accessories when there are objectively stronger, more durable options available is another.

By your logic, skydiving and willingly packing a faulty chute are synonymous. It's a specious argument at best. You're way off base here.
I was kind of hinting more towards the key word you used called "choice." One makes a choice to participate in a potentially dangerous hobby and another makes a choice to save a couple bucks on some spacers betting on the fact that they probably wont give him any problems.

And the parachute thing is kinda off as well. It's more along the lines of I could pack my own chute or make a choice to let my buddy pack it. My buddy is not me so there is no guarantee but he's been skydiving just as long as I have so I'm gonna assume a little risk. (same as the spacers, spidertrax is a guarantee due to consumer reviews and ebay while probably making these spacers for probably just as long might be just fine or even a little weaker but it's worth the risk)

Either way on any level the choices are that individuals and no one elses. If somebody posts on the forum about a money saver that you wouldn't do simply move on to the next post. He's a grown man that has made that choice and most certainly doensn't need a father figure to belittle his idea or choice by calling it silly, or risky unless he specifically asked for your feedback.

My job makes me take risks on a daily basis. It's not for everybody but I definatley don't need someone telling me how silly or unsafe it is. If it's unsafe to you then you choose not to do it and that's why I do what I do so you don't have to.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spare me the melodrama, Ranger. I appreciate your service, but I too know something about exposure to daily risk (I'm a police sergeant in a large Midwestern city, 22 years and counting).

Back on topic:

This is a publicly accessible internet discussion forum. Feel free to defend the usage of objectively inferior modifications. I'll politely exercise my privilege to buy the best I can afford (and at the point it all becomes too expensive, I guess I'll opt out and sell the JK in favor of a less risky hobby altogether).
Old 06-29-2010, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, two weeks ago I took my JK equipped with highly dangerous, made from suspect inferior materials, non-tested by NASA and the aerospace industry formed and forged by little children in a cardboard shack with a wooden hammer destined to disintergrate upon contact wth the first dirt trail they encounter........went to Rausch Creek PA. All day hit greens blues and blue/blacks. Did pretty well and as my EBay HUBCENTRIC spacers were the only mod on my Jeep I actually broke one of my $400 plastic and metal sidesteps designed and safety tested.

So I am still here. They held up pretty well. They did not explode or cause me to flip and experience death.

Did a lot of research on spacers here and the big concern with Ebay spacers was that they were all LUGCENTRIC and not HUBCENTRIC like the Spidertrax version. My Ebay spacers are HUBCENTRIC, they have a little lip just like the spider ones.

So now that my Ebay spacers are HUBCENTRIC, they are somehow "inferior" and its something else. The set of four cost me $118 by the way.

Last edited by Bug Stomper; 06-29-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

just seems to me that the more I read on this forum the more I see "haters." As they are so likely reffered to. these "haters" downplay someone elses decisions because it's not backed by a brand name. And when people are approached with something they themselves are un-sure of i.e. this mysterious e-bay seller of spacers, they all of a sudden become safety pro's and feel the need to let everyone know. Why is it some of the replies simply said "never heard about them, hope they work out for you. Congrats on your new purchase and let us now how they work" And other posts is a safety lesson with comments like "treat your wheel spacers like your life depends on it because it does" the same type of lesson I'd give my 8 year old. my question is doen't your life depend on everything?

I'm not trying to create waves here, i'm just stating what I'm seeing on this forum and it becomes more and more apparent the more I read and post. It's a shame because I love it here and have learned alot. I just wish people could save the "mello-dramatic" safety lessons and just tell a guy "good find buddy, let us know how it works" unless of course they are asking for advice.

So, I've stated my thoughts and now I'm gonna read and talk about jeeps. I didnt' intend on dragging this out. This will be my last post concerning this... And lastly, nothing about me stating or quoting anything about my service is considered mello-drama. It's considered pride in the ability to share with others what I do. I would love to hear more about your job sometime and I would never consider it to be mello-drammatic. thank you for your service as well! cheers

Quick Reply: Installed my Hubcentric Ebay AL wheel spacers today