Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed new exhaust.....now I have question......

Old 01-04-2013, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed new exhaust.....now I have question......

Ok, so I installed my new Dynomax VT exhaust. First off, the clamps suck. They don't clamp down tight enough. The clamp they gave me for the exhaust tip was too big. I had to add heater house to the interior portion of the clamp so it would have enough clamping force to hold the tip on.

Anyway, I got it all installed and tight, or at least as tight as the clamps would allow me and i added an extra washer to give myself a few more threads on the bolt to tighten them down. I start it up and water beigins coming out of the joints on either side of the muffler and a little on the joint upstream, nothing out of the joint just behind the Y pipe. Why would so much water condensation immediately leak out of the joints on first start up? It was spitting out so it was obvious that the seal was not made in these areas but I could not tighten the clamps any more.

So my question is, is it normal to have alot of condensation after a new exhaust install and is it a big deal to have small amounts of exhaust gasses emitting from the joints on either side of the muffler?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

you don't want any leaking, it can get inside and worst case make you sick or pass out
get sum good wide exhaust clamps , the condensation varies on the weather.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

bring it to an exhaust shop and have everything welded up. clamps suck and can cause a lot of problems like leaks, bad sound, rattling, loosening...
Old 01-04-2013, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Iv recently installed Gibson headers and exhaust and had the same problems of the clamp being to big from where the muffler attaches to the straight pipe. All I did was add some washers to the clamp to allow for more threads, to tighten down more and I had no leaks. As far as the condensation I really don't understand why there would be any water in a new exhaust system.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys realize that water is a by product of the catalytic converter doing its thing right?
Old 01-04-2013, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think Ill buy some exhaust U clamps tmro and see how that goes. At first I thought the condensation was maybe because I installed the muffler backwards, but I inspected it and ruled that out.

As far as the sound, i like it at dle, a little "tinny" under acceleration. Dynomax has the money back guarantee so I will drive it for awhile and see if it grows on me.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:31 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by Poker5150
I think Ill buy some exhaust U clamps tmro and see how that goes. At first I thought the condensation was maybe because I installed the muffler backwards, but I inspected it and ruled that out.

As far as the sound, i like it at dle, a little "tinny" under acceleration. Dynomax has the money back guarantee so I will drive it for awhile and see if it grows on me.
Give it about 3-4 weeks assuming you drive a lot. The "tinny" sound will disappear. I've got the same exact exhaust and it is bad-ass once it's broken in. I was fortunate to pick it up when they still had that $100 rebate going on.

I've got the auto-start and every single morning I give the keyfob 2 clicks as I'm sitting inside the garage to put my shoes on, I've got the biggest grin on to start the day off right
Old 01-04-2013, 09:09 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by BigSteve
You guys realize that water is a by product of the catalytic converter doing its thing right?
^^^ yeah what he said. Condensation dripping from the tail pipe is a good sign of a very efficient running system.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

an exhaust shop can find your leaks and fix them up, h2o is just a byproduct from the catalytic converter.

Quick Reply: Installed new exhaust.....now I have question......