Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking A Jeep 101

Old 09-27-2006, 06:01 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by THE GAGNON
Ok... so let's consider a 2" BB like you just mentioned. Full Traction has one for around $280 that includes front and rear spacers, front track bar bracket, billet aluminum bump stop extensions, and Full-Traction 5100 Hydraulic Shocks. Full Traction's site says that this boost will comfortably support 33" tires.

What is the tire size on a stock Rubicon JK? Would 33" tires require speedo gear replacement, chromoly axle shafts, new gears, etc. as mentioned above for 35" tires?

In short, I want to lift my 4-door so that it is more aesthetically appealing without having to change other major components on the Jeep. I fear that you put on a lift and it will act like a domino-effect forcing the owner into upgrading other components. I can't afford it, and moreover, I want take some time for my skill level to improve before I invest in upgrades that will make Big Foot look like a toy Tonka Truck.
The Rubicons come with 32" tires and so 33's shouldn't be a problem at all. However, I will most likely still need to swap in a new speedo gear but that takes all but 2 min to do and costs only $20 for the part For whatever it's worth, this is the first suspension upgrade that I'll be doing.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody heard anything about any body lifts for the JK being offered yet? I have a 3" suspension lift on order and am lookin for a 1" body lift to be able to clear 37's. If i go 37's though would i need to upgrade my axles and shafts too? I have a 35 in the rear and a 30 up front. Just tryin to get this straight.

in order to run 35's all i need is the 3" lift with no other upgrades.
but in order to run 37's id need another inch of lift and for the extra 2 inches on the tires, and id have to upgrade axles, and shafts? sould i regear to 4.88's too? If so would my milage suffer much? The jeep's still gonna be my daily driver so i need something that'll still let me run on the highway with ease even for road trips. I dont mind noise and stuff like that, but would 37's be going overboard for something thats gonna be on the highway too, and not just a trail rig? I do kinda like the idea of cruising around everywhere with some 37's that look like they could eat a small child.

just dont wanna have to hold the gas to the floor with the rpm's pegged to do 80-90

Last edited by ericdewayne; 10-08-2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:50 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I know that Daystar is working on a body lift kit but I would hazard to install anything more than a 1" kit.

As far as 37's go, sure you can do it but as you've already pointed out, you will need new gears and drive line especially if you plan on wheeling it at all. For 37's, you will want 4.88 or 5.13's
Old 10-10-2006, 08:02 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
(i.e. speedo gear will need to be replaced, you might want to consider chromoly axle shafts and if you can afford it, new gears might be something to consider as well but not necessary).
I believe, it does not have a gear, atleast the Rubicon TJ's later model changed. (Did DC change the JK design?)

You should be able to go to your dealer and have it reprogramed.

Last edited by Piginajeep; 10-10-2006 at 09:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Jacking A Jeep 101