Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

jeep build with a super 60/sterling setup

Old 06-23-2014, 08:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the ideas. Will start playing with it on Wednesday
Old 07-07-2014, 02:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Ok, mounted all brackets for the rear axle on both frame and axle, thought I factored everything but of course I missed one small detail as I welded everything in.

While all my mounting positions are designed to provide me with near stock handling... I overlooked the minor fact that I have clearance issues at full stuff with my top frame mount. Agh!!!!

The top control arms hits my upper control braket on the frame side close to the alxe. So, need suggestions on how to fix this screw-up! My second major setback.

You can see in this slide where my frame mount is stretched across two cross members... The issue that I am having is at full stuff, the control arm is hitting the end of the frame mount close to the axle
Click image for larger version

Name:	topcontrolarmfronttoback.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	564126

This is the point where the control mount is touching the frame mount. I could cut it back a bit, but not sure that may get me another inch or so of more up travel. I am currently sitting at 2 inches. If that.

Name:	topcontrolarmpointwheretouches.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	564127

Axle mount bracket... not much room to bring it down

Name:	topcontrolarmaxlemount.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	564124

Here is the frame mount brackets... I could cut off these brackets and weld on longer brackets... this will change some of my suspension dynamics, but the easiest to do.

Name:	topcontrolarmframemount.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	564125

I am open to changing the design all together for the top mount if anyone has any suggestions. I don't want to move the gas tank though. Eventually, I may end up doing that but for now... prefer to keep it where its at.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:56 PM
JK Super Freak

I have one more picture that shows where I am hitting the frame mount cross member tie.

Name:	topcontrolarmcontactpoint.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	564136
Old 07-08-2014, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
Ok, mounted all brackets for the rear axle on both frame and axle, thought I factored everything but of course I missed one small detail as I welded everything in.

While all my mounting positions are designed to provide me with near stock handling... I overlooked the minor fact that I have clearance issues at full stuff with my top frame mount. Agh!!!!

The top control arms hits my upper control braket on the frame side close to the alxe. So, need suggestions on how to fix this screw-up! My second major setback.

You can see in this slide where my frame mount is stretched across two cross members... The issue that I am having is at full stuff, the control arm is hitting the end of the frame mount close to the axle
Attachment 564126

This is the point where the control mount is touching the frame mount. I could cut it back a bit, but not sure that may get me another inch or so of more up travel. I am currently sitting at 2 inches. If that.
Attachment 564127

Axle mount bracket... not much room to bring it down
Attachment 564124

Here is the frame mount brackets... I could cut off these brackets and weld on longer brackets... this will change some of my suspension dynamics, but the easiest to do.
Attachment 564125

I am open to changing the design all together for the top mount if anyone has any suggestions. I don't want to move the gas tank though. Eventually, I may end up doing that but for now... prefer to keep it where its at.
Before you commit to this id recommend putting your driveshaft in and check for clearance
Old 07-08-2014, 05:37 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

You can add bump stop to prevent contact when stuffed. I am not being a dick or trying to be mean but your brackets and welding have have a lot to be desired and doubt if they will last any really wheeling. Running a 3 link needs more meat and some gussets on those link mounts or you are going to rip them apart. The poly bushings are going to wear out pretty quick as well. I got about 3 wheeling trips out of synergy poly joints befor they were shot.

I would agree with mounting the driveshaft and doing some flexing with what you have now as you may have clearacne and binding issues with the mounts like you have them.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Same here Ive destroyed several sets of builder joints and poly joints. Also I have my rear link mounted the same place thats why I suggested checking clearance cause that is in a critical spot for driveshaft stuff at full compression
Old 07-08-2014, 06:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks and dirtman, while I always appreciate your constructive criticism, I am some what surprised of your general disdain. I always figured that one should help those that try. In the end, I will get it right as I always do... but it is always great to get feedback.

As for my welds... they are ugly, but never had one fail. In fact, they do remain a joke within my circle of friends... but bottom line, they have good penetration and hold up well.

I do plan on adding support to the cross members and if I cant make the 3 link work, I will move the gas tank.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:34 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can you move the cross member brace left or right more? or put on on each side possibly? or maybe y or v out from the rear cross member you used?

Last edited by Maertz; 07-08-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default jeep build with a super 60/sterling setup

I would cut out that mount completely and build a new one that is more of a C channel to allow for the clearance. Also add some additional gussets.
Here is what I had when I ran a 3 link.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404876062.776200.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	564309
If you don't want to go this path, try notching out the end of your current one and adding some additional plating around it.

Last edited by Ringer; 07-08-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:14 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringer
I would cut out that mount completely and build a new one that is more of a C channel to allow for the clearance. Also add some additional gussets.
this is a good idea also.

Quick Reply: jeep build with a super 60/sterling setup