Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep Death wobble, any ideas?

Old 05-31-2019, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
On a side note, you usually have tight steering after replacing ball joints until they wear in, 500 miles or so. It might feel like you're constantly having to correct the steering, especially at lower speeds it might feel hard to stay in the lane. Don't fret and just give it a little time.
Just got installs done yesterday, steering is tight tight. Definitely dont have a wobble as I can run over bumps at normal speeds again which is great. The steering corrections while driving is a bit annoying but im trying to grind those miles in to wear in the ball joints faster since having the steering not recenter and swaying on a road at like 30-40mph doesnt feel the best. Have a wheel alignment scheduled for tuesday, hopefully this will be the complete 100% fix on this issue and I wont have my front suspension do the boogie woogie anymore lol. I appreciate the information you have given me its been very useful and reassuring!
Old 05-31-2019, 06:23 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Glad it's driving better. That steering will get back to normal pretty quickly. It is indeed alarming, especially when you're not expecting it! I recall the first time I replaced BJs and was like
Old 06-14-2019, 10:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Final Update I hope,

After everything being installed and dealing with the ball joint throwing me from side to side at first, I finally got my tires aligned and the jeep regained its ability to recenter. Soon after the swaying became more prominent again and I could feel the steering wheel fighting with my suspension to recenter itself, leading me to think the whole jeep was just messed up at this point since I dont know what else it couldve been. So I took a look at it and somehow, someway the nut holding the track bar to the frame came off leaving it very loose. I was able to get another nut and tighten it up eliminating that annoying sway and havent noticed an issue yet. My history with Track bars has been a fun one lol, but I think this should be the end of it. Many thanks for all the help, im glad the Jeep is operating as it should since im looking to take it out this summer throughout some of the states on my first real offroading/cross country adventure!

Quick Reply: Jeep Death wobble, any ideas?