Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep not tracking straight after lift, need suggestions on how to correct

Old 05-04-2010, 06:24 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep not tracking straight after lift, need suggestions on how to correct

hey all,

I had my wife drive my Jeep a few miles to see if I can see what I've suspected after I put on the 3" TF springs and I can now confirm that my Jeep is not pointed straight.

Here's a quick exagerrated photoshop of what my Jeep is doing right now. (Yes it's a Zonda , I know!)

My set up is comprised of the following:
3" TF coils
fox 2.0 shocks
F&R Full Traction track bars - axles centered perfectly
Non-adj LCA from Skyjacker 4" lift - no "flighty-ness" before 3", now it exhibits a bit more "flighty-ness"

I put in 1/8" toe when I put on the 35's last year. Up until last weekend, I was running RC 2.5" BB with 2.2 shocks with stock track bars. No issues at all with tracking.

Any suggestions, education, and correct terminology on what my Jeep is doing would be greatly appreciated so I can research further!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

So you didnt re-set your Toe-In after you put the lift on? You should if you havent already. May have something to do with it.

If not, check the control arms you put in to make sure they are the same length. Did you confirm with before and after measurements of how much lift you got?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:26 AM
bkw
JK Freak

I did not think a readjustment of my toe-in was necessary after lifting. I thought it was something that was done after putting on 35's.

Control arms are both the same length since theyre fixed.

I'm up at least 2" taller than the 2.5" BB with the new 3" coils.

Am I using the right terminology here? "track"? My service guy sounded puzzled when I tried describing my issue over the phone.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:41 AM
JK Freak

Default thrust angle

don't think that's your toe, think it's your thrust angle.

your axles aren't tracking with your vehicle and it's due to your control arms shorter on one side more than the other.

try another alignment shop that has an alignment machine, not guys with tape measures and angle finders. i was glad i did!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:10 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 69thunderbird
don't think that's your toe, think it's your thrust angle.

your axles aren't tracking with your vehicle and it's due to your control arms shorter on one side more than the other.

try another alignment shop that has an alignment machine, not guys with tape measures and angle finders. i was glad i did!
How can my control arms be different lengths if theyre fixed?

Are you trying to say that I need adjustable LCA's so that I can make one side longer than the other to compensate?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think I've read before that the passenger side LCA should be slightly longer when adjusting.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Passenger side should only be longer if you want to compensate for the natural pull to the right caused by crowned roads.

Double check your Toe-In. It wont hurt to know where you stand. A suspension lift will absolutely change your toe settings. Ask me how I know.

If that doesnt help or doesnt need to be changed, start considering ditchin the fixed length control arms in favor of some Teraflex adjustables. Fixed length arms should stay on stock suspension Jeeps, IMO.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:24 PM
bkw
JK Freak

Thanks guys.

I'll break out the ruler and measure my toe tonight.

Time to do some research on new LCA's.. Rusty's, Rock Krawler, or TF?
Old 05-06-2010, 06:14 AM
bkw
JK Freak

OK, so I measured my toe and it looks fine.

But while I was under there, I did see something alarming.

Top top of the drivers side TF quick disco is a hair away from the coil spring! There are also rub marks on the disco and the coil.

The passenger side is about 1.5" from rubbing.

Could this be a part of my problem?
Old 05-06-2010, 06:30 AM
JK Freak

if you have fixed control arms you shouldn't have a tracking problem unless one was bent - which is hard to do.

not sure about your install instructions, but on my TF install i was supposed to spin the coil around on the rear. the front has a perch/retainer that holds the spring in (check that you are in this perch). still wouldn't think that would cause it to track differently.

contact Teraflex - they have excellent customer service and may offer some suggestions

Originally Posted by bkw
OK, so I measured my toe and it looks fine.

But while I was under there, I did see something alarming.

Top top of the drivers side TF quick disco is a hair away from the coil spring! There are also rub marks on the disco and the coil.

The passenger side is about 1.5" from rubbing.

Could this be a part of my problem?

Quick Reply: Jeep not tracking straight after lift, need suggestions on how to correct