Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep Rookie needs OME help

Old 07-30-2008, 07:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep Rookie needs OME help

Guys/Gals.. I need the collective knowledge of you fine folks. I have a 08 JK 4 door sahara. Put 285 BFG/AT with MT classic II 17" on. Then ordered the HD OME kit 618/619 with adjust upper controls. adjust track bars front/back. JKS adjust links and extended brake lines. I put this kit on and the shocks are extended to their limit when installed and stay that way unless really stressed under a big bump. Had a horrible ride (steering wandering everywhere) and rides like I am driving a D9 cat down the highway. I get my caster to 4 (the max I can go with these uppers). The driveability is now about 85% better.
OK, now the jeep drives much better (still want it better if possible) but it still feels like it has no shocks on it. The cab sways very easily in the smallest cross wind. Didnt do that before the kit and when a bump is encountered bigger than a small rock, this thing hits hard!! Really hard. I am in agriculture and drive about 85% of my time on dirt roads. It is very punishing. Very very stiff. What have I done wrong? Everything is tight and snug. The coils are correctly installed. The shocks are fully extended at a sit still.

This much I know.. 35 lbs of pressure on the tires. 42 1/4" to fender both front and back. AEV front bumper w/o winch. Tire only rear.

Educate me ol wise ones....
Old 07-30-2008, 07:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Pics of all installed components?
Old 07-30-2008, 07:30 PM
JK Jedi Master

Do you have any pic of the front end, suspension, and shocks as they are? This may help. If the shocks are extended fully at rest then they have been installed incorrectly and the jeep should not sway as much as you say if the sway bar is connected correctly.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why did you get the HD lift kit? Do you have any other mods that add weight to it?
Old 07-30-2008, 07:34 PM
JK Newbie

I will get the pictures up tomorrow morning. I carry sacks of feed, hay, salt, junk in the back. I now may be thinking about the med coils. I have no idea how I could install those shocks incorrectly. Then again, I know tractors not Jeeps...
Old 07-31-2008, 12:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

35 psi is on the high side, but still shouldn't be giving you that harsh of a ride. You mention the shocks are fully extended at static ride height. That is a huge problem. What are the PN's of those shocks? I wondering if you weren't given the wrong shocks perhaps? I also run the OME HD kit and LOVE the ride, very cushy, but not too soft; nothing like you describe. I know for a fact that the OME 2.5" shocks will give you just that, 2.5" of extra travel. If yours are fully extended sitting flat, they probably aren't the right ones. On a side note, the OME ride gets better over time, mine has about 4k miles on it now, and the ride improves every day.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:15 AM
JK Freak

Hey nukeman, not to threadjack but do you have pics of your set up? It's very similar to what I'm doing! Thanks.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

I tried to post a photo unsuccessfully. Anyway, here is the scoop. I told the dealer when they installed the kit that I wanted to make sure that it was level front to back. Well, in their infinite wisdom it was off by about 3/8" in the front. So they added a daystar leveling kit as well as a full OME HD kit with a 10mm spacer in front. Stuffed it all in there. After driving this jeep for about a day I looked down and saw the yellow spacer about 2" below the daystar spacer as well as a daystar spacer in the rear. No wonder this Jeep was so high!! Drove horrible.. unlike what everyone else told me about the OME kit. Anyway, we'll get er done right. Serves me right for not doing it myself. I am not sure people use much common sense these days..

Quick Reply: Jeep Rookie needs OME help