Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jeep Stuck in First Gear

Old 04-08-2020, 05:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep Stuck in First Gear

Hi all, set up this account to make a post and hopefully someone has answers as I cannot afford to spend thousands more not to have my rig fixed or working properly.

here’s what I have and what is wrong and the jeep has been parked for 2 years now cuz no one can figure it out

i have a 2013 jk rubicon unlimited customized into a jk8 truck. I’m running 40s on Currie Rockjock 60s... the abs sensors have been replaced and gone over at least 6-8 times now. I had an atlas transfer case installed and then 10 Kms into a run 2 years ago my jeep flashes the hill descent light, then the abs, e-brake, check engine, and traction lights all come on and the automatic transmission is locked int

o first gear. I’ve reset the computer numerous times with the super chip module.

has anyone ever had to deal with this and I honestly could careless if there is a way to just bypass all this crap. I’ve pulled the abs fuses and it is still locked in first gear no matter what. It will not shift even when I try toggling the manual shift left to right on the auto lever.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:10 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

So your jeep is in "limp mode" and has been fro 2yrs and nobody has figured it out yet? I'm not blaming or pointing fingers, just trying to figure out why for say 18 mos of those 2yrs you haven't been searching around yet? Mainly cuz a couple things, you mention having a J8 truck, on 40's, and yet not having the money to figure this out. I'm not being a DB, just trying to figure where're starting from.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It’s because I’ve been working nonstop for 2 years trying to keep my business alive working 7 days a week. Now that Covid has shut down everything I actually have time to try to fix it... but now that the government closure happen I’m losing everything I worked for the past two years.... so now I can try to fix the one thing I have left that makes me happy. So if you have advice that would be great... When I had the time and money I brought it to 3 different places that all charged money and fixed nothing. It’s been in storage ever since
Old 04-08-2020, 07:44 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

I'm not saying I can help, cuz we all have our expertise, but in this kind of situation, every single detail you can give is beneficial. Did you convert this to a truck yourself (which shouldn't matter at all be give us a sense of your skill)? Did you do the axle swap and add the 40s yourself? If so, no issues at that time and then all the sudden they popped up? Did you swap the TC, or was all this done prior to you buying it?
Old 04-09-2020, 02:21 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I think the biggest piece of this puzzle is going to be- how'd you tell the jeep computer that it now has a different tcase ratio, potentially different tooth count for ABS tone rings, different tire size, and potential lockers?
Old 04-12-2020, 04:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm far from an expert, but... from Atlas' web site;
The JK control module is the only way of keeping all the stock functions operational when upgrading to an Atlas transfer case. This Module lights the dash lights in both high and low range as well as the settings on the ESP when in 4WD and lockers and sway bar disconnect on the Rubicon models. This kit is simple to install with just two plug-in connectors to the Atlas and connecting a power line to your fuse box and a ground to your battery. The JK control module is also included with the Atlas transfer case. Note: This kit is designed for the Atlas 2 speed but can be used on a 4 speed by connecting a additional low range switch to the planetary housing and splicing that switch into the lead from the low range switch from the Atlas case.
Was that done before you had this issue?

Quick Reply: Jeep Stuck in First Gear