Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep wont shift!!! Auto

Old 06-06-2014, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep wont shift!!! Auto

Just put new lift on jeep and now it won't shift. Reverse works, but drive is stuck in 2nd gear. I put shifter in first and it's still in 2nd. It won't shift manually, no up or down shifting. It goes P,R,N,2 thats it. Any ideas? Also no trouble codes found. Battery was disconnected for three weeks for jeep upgrades. Tried turning it off and on, no difference. Jeep is also a early model 07 with out the transmission over heat crap programed into it. Computer has never been reflashed

Last edited by AMCJeff; 06-06-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was it a body life? Start checking the shifter linkage and cable and shifter.
The following users liked this post:
iloozealot (04-28-2019)
Old 06-06-2014, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

No it wasn't a body lift. Nothing was disconnected from trans at all. Everything looks properly connected
Old 06-07-2014, 04:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

transmission is in limp home mode. (constant 2nd gear in forward)..

often thats a loss of computer communications from the trans to the PCM. id double check all the connectors and that a wire or harness didnt get knicked during lift install..

also make sure all the pins are pressed into the connectors themselves. any slight stretch of a harness or such can cause minor connection issues.. even 1 pin on the computer connector will place the trans in this mode..
-Christopher
The following 2 users liked this post by JeepaRoo:
iloozealot (04-28-2019), Remington19 (04-29-2019)
Old 06-07-2014, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Chris. I will re-check the connectors.

This wouldn't have anything to do with speed sensors would it? I just put new re-geard axles under it
Old 06-07-2014, 05:20 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by AMCJeff
Thanks Chris. I will re-check the connectors.

This wouldn't have anything to do with speed sensors would it? I just put new re-geard axles under it
Did you flash the computer for the new gears?
Old 06-07-2014, 10:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

No I have never reflashed the computer. Don't really want to either. Was running 4.10s with 37's and now have 5.13s and 37. This should have put it pretty close to the original stock setup.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AMCJeff
No I have never reflashed the computer. Don't really want to either. Was running 4.10s with 37's and now have 5.13s and 37. This should have put it pretty close to the original stock setup.
The computer knows the 4.10's are gone as the 5.13's don't spin the same and it faults as it thinks there is a serious problem, limp mode.

You must reset the computer to match the gears and tires or it will never go away.

Use a programmer like a ProCal or such and you will be fine.
iloozealot (04-28-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

Default Jeep JK 2014 w/37s 4.88 gears & Supercharger

My Jeep JK 2014 w/37s, auto tranny, 4.88 gears & Supercharger wouldn't shift yesterday after an hour of chasing a Razer and LS1 Jeep around Ocotillo Wells. I had the tire pressure down to 15 psi. It wouldn't shift using the auto shifter mode either by moving the shifter left and right. Engine light came on but I didn't have a code reader. Tranny oil temp was reading 221F.

Made it back to the RV resort, keeping the RPMs below 4K. After a beer and dip in the pool, aired up the tires and started the drive back home. Tranny temp 172 F, Check engine light went out and it shifted normally.

I've read the computer knows the 4.10's are gone as my 4.88’s don't spin the same and it faults as it thinks there is a serious problem, limp mode. You must reset the computer to match the gears and tires or it will never go away. Use a programmer like a ProCal or such and you will be fine.

Questions:
  1. Is there a way to check the error code history?
  2. Is there a way to know if the computer has been reflashed to reflect the correct gearing?
  3. If not should I try to reset the computer to match the gears and tires? I assume this was done but not sure.
  4. Any details on how to reset the computer?

I don't plan on running with Razers anymore. LoL.

iloozealot (04-28-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Question Mil

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
transmission is in limp home mode. (constant 2nd gear in forward)..

often thats a loss of computer communications from the trans to the PCM. id double check all the connectors and that a wire or harness didnt get knicked during lift install..

also make sure all the pins are pressed into the connectors themselves. any slight stretch of a harness or such can cause minor connection issues.. even 1 pin on the computer connector will place the trans in this mode..
-Christopher
Limp mode would light the MIL wouldn't it? I'm new to Jeeps.

Quick Reply: Jeep wont shift!!! Auto