Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK 2012 Teraflex 2.5 + King adj. Shocks. Ride is bumpy

Old 10-15-2012, 12:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK 2012 Teraflex 2.5 + King adj. Shocks. Ride is bumpy

I have a 2.5 Teraflex coil lift on my jk 2012, 2 door with King adj. Shocks. Tires are 285/75 Mickey Thompson MTZ. The ride is extremely bouncy and rough, I got the lift before the tires so its not that.
is it installed wrong?
What would you recommend?.
thank you.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:25 AM
MTG
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard some people complain about the ride of these coils. Might try something softer? I have same shocks with EVO plush ride coils and have no complaints.

Good luck!
Old 10-15-2012, 01:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree, I ran these coils on my last JK and had a similar experience. Don't get me wrong, I think they are a great midpriced spring but there are softer coils out there like the EVO plush mentioned above.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default I Had a Similar Experience

[QUOTE=drono;3253034]I have a 2.5 Teraflex coil lift on my jk 2012, 2 door with King adj. Shocks. Tires are 285/75 Mickey Thompson MTZ. The ride is extremely bouncy and rough, I got the lift before the tires so its not that.
is it installed wrong?
What would you recommend?.
thank you.

There is nothing wrong at all. I had the teraflex 2.5 with Bilsteins for a while. I thought the ride was great. I had the opportunity to trade/buy some used Kings. They were not the Evo Spec'd Kings but they were the Kings that were made for the JK. I put those on and thought that my suspension wouldnt even flex. It was pretty bad. I started to wonder if there was something wrong with the shock. I had the shocks and nitrogen checked and then set back to the factory specs (which is pretty low already, around 90 psi). That didnt really improve the ride. King said that with the pressure being so low already from the factory, that I couldnt adjust the firmness by lowering the pressure as it would be counterintuitive. I would have to revalve. Instead, I ended up buying the Evo Plush Ride Springs and it improved the ride greatly. I then made a mistake and sold my Poison Spyder rear bumper and tire carrier. With no weight back there, the ride became extremely rough again. So that gave me a good reason to buy the evo tire carrier and long arm kit (waiting for it to get to hawaii). I think this will even everything back out and give me a great ride. If not, then I will get Evo to revalve the shocks to their specs.

Your situation may be different. Did you buy the evo spec'd kings? You may be able to adjust the compression settings to its lowest setting and achieve a better ride. I would guess you have already done that though. If I were you I would upgrade to the evo plush ride springs. They helped for me. I still found the ride a little rougher on the road than the Teraflex 2.5 and Bilsteins, but offroad with the tires aired down I feel it made a much better ride. It was able to soak up the bigger bumps with no problem. I didnt look at your profile much. Do you have any armor added on? you are already lighter than me because you have a 2 door. I hope that this info helps. I know it can be frustrating.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Haha

Oops. It took me about 45 minutes to write that post as I was doing other things They were not there when I started to write it. I agree with the above posts as well. They are great inexpensive springs that work great with other shocks.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Sway Bar Links

It looks like your sway bar links are also installed on the wrong side in the rear. they are supposed to be mounted on the side of the swaybar closest to the tire. I dont know if this may contact anything and keep you from getting the uptravel you need. Im not in the country right now to check my jk to see if there will be any problems from it. You might want to visually check and see if they are contacting anything. Again, maybe they arent causing a problem.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Check your tire pressure. I had issues with with being bouncy at to high of a pressure.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:08 AM
JK Newbie

First of all, thank you for replying the information was helpful.
The tire pressure I set is at 32 psi
Compression is at 7/20 front 9/20 back
If I put It lower my car bounces like crazy.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

Your rear swaybar links are improperly installed. For reference, I have the same springs with cheap T-Flex shocks and have none of the issues you're describing. Do you have a buddy or someone with a different set of shocks you can borrow and install? This will narrow down the issue.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yup...rear sway bar link bolted on the wrong side definitely will cause a bumpy ride...i would bet you are getting some rubbing too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121015_115222.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	378462  

Quick Reply: JK 2012 Teraflex 2.5 + King adj. Shocks. Ride is bumpy