Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK 2DR Drive Shafts

Old 03-21-2011, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK 2DR Drive Shafts

Hi Guys, Im new to the JK world. I just bought a 3" teraflex lift, 35" tires, 513 Gears, and now im beeing told that I will need a drive shaft for the rear. Is this true, and is it possible to go and get a 4DR drive shaft and switch it for the added length? Alsohow much should I pay to my Gears installed? I have quotes from $600-$1200. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

With a 2door at that lift height, yes, you should expect to replace that rear shaft. It is more about the steep angles caused by the lift, so a 4door shaft wouldn't help. Just make a habit of crawling underneath and watching the joints at the tcase and pinion. When they wear through and start spitting grease, order your replacement.

Prices for gearing vary wildly from area to area. Ask what brand and components they are using, and what the warranty is. Most of the JK gears are made overseas and reboxed, so the brand isn't a huge concern. Make sure that they are using overhaul kits though, with Timken bearings. Some shops will use install kits to save some money, but you are much better off with the new bearings that come in the overhauls.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:56 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by 11bravojk
Hi Guys, Im new to the JK world. I just bought a 3" teraflex lift, 35" tires, 513 Gears, and now im beeing told that I will need a drive shaft for the rear. Is this true, and is it possible to go and get a 4DR drive shaft and switch it for the added length? Alsohow much should I pay to my Gears installed? I have quotes from $600-$1200. Thanks for the help.
You can not run a 4 door driveshaft on a 2 door.

Are you having issues with your driveshaft?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:10 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

as mentioned, you will most likely need to replace it sooner than later and no, you cannot use a 4-door shaft as it will be way too long. what you will need is a replacement u-joint style double cardan shaft and adjustable rear upper control arms to set your pinion angle.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

Default 2DR JK Drive shaft and gears.

Hey Guys, Thanks for the help. I have already purchased the gears and install kits. They are G2, also how much should I pay for a drive shaft. I live in AZ and have recieved sevral different quotes. Thanks again.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:00 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Guys, Thanks for the help. I have already purchased the gears and install kits. They are G2, also how much should I pay for a drive shaft. I live in AZ and have recieved sevral different quotes. Thanks again.
you can get a good 1310 shaft for about $450.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...-1310-JK-REAR2

Quick Reply: JK 2DR Drive Shafts