Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jk 4 door Weight

Old 04-16-2017, 03:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jk 4 door Weight

How heavy is TOO heavy?
2016 JK 4 door
mods: 2" Mopar Lift
34" E rated tires
Orfab full width bumper
Warn 10000 lb winch (synthethic wire)
JCRoffroad Crusader Rock sliders

These mods have added weight of approx. 300 lbs from stock.
I'm not into hard core rock climbing, only moderate rocky trails.
Will I get into trouble with this added weight?
Old 04-16-2017, 04:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LHCroy
How heavy is TOO heavy? 2016 JK 4 door mods: 2" Mopar Lift 34" E rated tires Orfab full width bumper Warn 10000 lb winch (synthethic wire) JCRoffroad Crusader Rock sliders These mods have added weight of approx. 300 lbs from stock. I'm not into hard core rock climbing, only moderate rocky trails. Will I get into trouble with this added weight?
Only hurts mpg really, I'm rocking a lot of extra metallic weight. But when you need it it's there. Armor is a double edged sword, but if it's that big of a deal drop in a lower gear set.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Yup, too heavy is all relative. The additional weight will start taking a bite out of your fuel economy. Generally the jeep is going to handle everything just fine. Tire size is going to have the largest impact, regardless of weight.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

it does not take much to exceed the gvwr on jeeps. my box stock jkr weighed 4500 lbs with no back seat and a full tank of gas the gvwr is 5100 so by the time I add approximately 200lbs in front and rear bumpers with winch, geez I am up to 4700lbs and another 150lbs in skids and sliders that leaves 250lbs for drive and passenger and any gear yikes better be a skinny ass driver and passenger.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is damn near 7k lbs with a full tank of gas, 20lb Powertank, and ARB Fridge Freezer. Could use a V-8 at this weight, but the 3.6 doesn't do too bad. Certainly hasn't slowed it down on the trails.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by highoctane
Mine is damn near 7k lbs with a full tank of gas, 20lb Powertank, and ARB Fridge Freezer. Could use a V-8 at this weight, but the 3.6 doesn't do too bad. Certainly hasn't slowed it down on the trails.
Dang, that is one heavy jeep. You got D60s and a full cage helping add to that or something? I don't see any details in your profile, but from your avatar pic I wouldn't think it weighs that much. I think I topped out around 5150lbs when I was carrying a spare and swing carrier. Little lighter now that my rear end has a skinny bumper and no spare.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Dang, that is one heavy jeep. You got D60s and a full cage helping add to that or something? I don't see any details in your profile, but from your avatar pic I wouldn't think it weighs that much. I think I topped out around 5150lbs when I was carrying a spare and swing carrier. Little lighter now that my rear end has a skinny bumper and no spare.
Dynatrac XD60 front/ProRock 80 rear, steel corner armor and rocker armor, heavy 40" Mud Grapplers on ATX Slabs, LoD sliders, Evo tire carrier and front bumper, Warn Zeon winch w/ steel cable, Rockhard sport cage, and some skid plates, and a hardtop. It all adds up quick.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:16 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw the mention of our ProRock axles and weight. Something to keep in mind when it comes to weight and axles, heavier duty axles will always weigh more than stock. BUT, that weight is in the best place possible on the vehicle, down low which helps improve the center of gravity for better stability when wheeling and less risk of a roll over.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by highoctane
Dynatrac XD60 front/ProRock 80 rear, steel corner armor and rocker armor, heavy 40" Mud Grapplers on ATX Slabs, LoD sliders, Evo tire carrier and front bumper, Warn Zeon winch w/ steel cable, Rockhard sport cage, and some skid plates, and a hardtop. It all adds up quick.
Ah yes, that makes a lot more sense. LOL.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
Saw the mention of our ProRock axles and weight. Something to keep in mind when it comes to weight and axles, heavier duty axles will always weigh more than stock. BUT, that weight is in the best place possible on the vehicle, down low which helps improve the center of gravity for better stability when wheeling and less risk of a roll over.
I don't think anyone going to 60's or 80's is concerned about weight .

I just didn't see any info in his profile before which is why you guys got pulled in to the thread.....not so much cuz your axles weigh so much, but cuz his jeep is packed with so much awesomeness it's making me clean up the drool off my desk.

Quick Reply: jk 4 door Weight