Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JK 4dr 2wd to 4wd Conversion About to Begin

Old 05-12-2010, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK 4dr 2wd to 4wd Conversion About to Begin

Well i decided to pull the trigger on a purchase for a Wrangler minivan (AKA 2wd 4d JK).
After purchasing a new Rubicon LJ in 06' and the firing 20k into it, I figured I'd re-think things a bit. So, thats what I came up with after some research regarding the conversion. I am going to go with a rubi D44 front, Atlas 2sd 5:4:1 Trans case, 37's (what else is there?), and all the fun stuff that is needed to complete the conversion. I got a price quote from the local jeep stealership for the Factory parts needed to be able to accept a transfer case. $287.00 total. Pretty cheap! Here is what it includes:
Adapter / Bellhousing: #52852986AB
Seal: #4269958AB
Seal: #52852998AA
Oil Tube: #52854177AA
Shaft: # 4800385AA
Bolts: #650811AA & 4800385AA

I think that is all you need to convert a 42RLE to accept a Transfer case. If I'm missing something please chime in.

My underlying question is:
I'm having trouble deciding on the lift.
I like the 4" Currie SA and 4" Tera Elite LCG kit as well. however, they all seem to be lacking something.
Then i was directed twords that Stonhenge Series lift by Finishline West. Pricey for a short arm but looks like all high end components. Anybody have any experience with them? I spoke with the owner today and was impressed. He offered to have me come up and take his rig for a drive to experience it for myself. Cant wait to do so!

Other suggestions are appreciated. Not that into FT, Skyjacker, Fabtech, or Re's kits just to clarify.
I would like to know a bit more about the Clayton kit though.

Oh BTW, here is how the jeep/ minivan sits now:

Last edited by wayoflife; 05-12-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:23 AM
JK Super Freak

I gotta ask, if your willing to dump all this money into the 2wd, why did you not just buy a 4wd in the first place? I don't wanna judge without knowing reasons but that seems... un-economical...?

Feel free to correct me
Old 05-12-2010, 11:25 AM
JK Super Freak

...and if your looking for info on lifts, PM the manufacturers, I'm sure they would love to load you with info, what you need and what you don't, etc.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have any questions about TeraFlex LCG kits, give me a call! I have about 38,000 miles on mine.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, if you are going to do this then don't waste time with the Rubicon axle, go big and stick something exotic in both front and rear...

If not something exotic then at least get the weld on bracket kit and throw in some junkyard Dana 60's perhaps...

I mean you already want to run 37's which is pretty stressful on the 44's regardless if they are Rubicon or not plus once you go up to the 8 lug axles you can find used wheels and tire for pennies on the dollar...
Old 05-12-2010, 04:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck!
Old 05-12-2010, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jgkjeep
Biggest thing I can think of off the top of my head is if he bought 4wd stock he would have wasted money on the np231.

It really isn't going to cost any more to do it the way he is if all the labor is free.
You hit the nail on the head. The stock 4x components are of no use to me.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zylfrax791
Honestly, if you are going to do this then don't waste time with the Rubicon axle, go big and stick something exotic in both front and rear...

If not something exotic then at least get the weld on bracket kit and throw in some junkyard Dana 60's perhaps...

I mean you already want to run 37's which is pretty stressful on the 44's regardless if they are Rubicon or not plus once you go up to the 8 lug axles you can find used wheels and tire for pennies on the dollar...
I've been running 37's on stock rubi 44's with stock shafts for 3yrs with no problems. Wheeled the hammers a few times, coral canyon, truckhaven, rubicon, extra. My point is, I've seen guys shatter brand new 60's on easy trails and others take on the hammers with stock D35's with no issues. It's all how you drive.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:02 PM
JK Freak

If you're going with a 44 up front, why not go with a Dynatrac 44? Since you are starting from scratch, it would be a heck of a lot stronger and still reasonable.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jgkjeep
Plenty of guys in my club run 38's or bigger on 44s. One guy has 42's on a D30. Only thing he ever broke is a few hub lockouts.

So much depends on your driving style. Probably the most common thing you hear around us is 'This isn't a horsepower race. Anyone can dump a bunch of money in their rig and stomp the gas. Not everyone takes the time to learn how to drive right first.'
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Quick Reply: JK 4dr 2wd to 4wd Conversion About to Begin