Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JK Automatic Transmission Problems?

Old 10-22-2014, 02:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately I still haven't heard of a fix or update yet. I do however seem to know now exactly when it will do it as its a very regular occurrence.

While under load (climbing), accelerating, and then breaking traction (wheel spin) and throw in an up shift 1st to 2nd. I've noticed it rarely happens when I'm alone. It happens very frequently when I have 4 people in the jeep. So I believe the weight load plays a big part in it.

It appears the tranny goes into a "limp mode" causing the tranny to get stuck in 2nd gear. This explains the "crawl" no power issue and the tranny doesn't respond to input. Cycling the ignition on and off is the fastest fix (still annoying).

I have concluded that even though it's a pain I do not feel the tranny is defective or has suffered any damage. I suspect it's a mapping issue that is there to protect the transmission. I think only Chrysler through a re-tune will be able to address if they ever do.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

The NAG1 is a great tranny. I haven't had any issues with mine. It and the 3.6 have improved with time. They both perform markedly better at 14k miles than at 1.4k miles for sure. I'm running 35s with 3.73 gears (4.56 on the way) so it hunts a bit on mild incline but that is to be expected. It's fine everywhere else. Manual shifting has worked well for me also. I have no complaints.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:04 AM
JK Newbie

Everyone seems to be quite happy with the auto. This is not to offend anyone... but ... did they solve the "burn the jeep to the ground" issue?
When I bought my jeep, I went to the dunes... and when I entered the sand I saw a brand new jeep exactly like mine (only it was an auto), burnt. Later I´ve heard it got stuck, and probably they abused the transmission and it caught fire. I searched the internet back then and found it happened many times on 2010 models, because grass gets on the transmission skidplate and gets fire o something like that...
It´s very overwheming to see fist hand a jeep burnt, specially when you just bought one! I was relieved when they said it was because of the auto transmission and mine is manual.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Morbo
Everyone seems to be quite happy with the auto. This is not to offend anyone... but ... did they solve the "burn the jeep to the ground" issue?
Crack kills! Just put the pipe down and step away. Seriously, there is no such "burn the jeep to the ground" issue. I'm pretty sure that would have shown itself somewhere other than just your post if it was an issue. And besides, my friend, we're not even talking about the same transmission. Jeep began using the NAG1 auto in the wrangler in 2012. Deep breaths ... NO MORE CRACK!!!
Old 12-05-2014, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Service Bulletin #21-033-14, October 22, 2014

For vehicles equipped with the W5A580 transmission:

A small number of customers may experience a MIL and possibly DTC P0730. In addition to correcting the DTC, the following TCM calibration improvements are now available. These updates are broken down by vehicle line and engine category. (I'm only going to list the JK specific stuff).

- Hanging in gear during HOT ambient temperature conditions while vehicle is loaded or towing.
- Delayed downshift when driving at altitudes higher than 2500 feet.
- Inconsistent shifting when towing or while driving up or down steep hills.
- Delayed upshift while driving in 4 low.
- Intermittent delayed shift.
- Delayed engagement when shifting from drive to reverse while in 4 low (JK Rubicon only)
- Delayed shift from second gear while towing or driving on steep grades. (JK Rubicon only)
- Intermittent delayed engagement from reverse to drive.

There may be more in this TSB that addresses other issues, but these are the pertinent ones to my issues. I just got this today and haven't trail tested it yet, but the highlighted items above were my symptoms, so I'm hopeful this will fix it.

Regards,
Frank
Old 12-06-2014, 10:31 AM
JK Newbie

Default 2010 Wrangler with bad transmission

Originally Posted by Flywrangler
Service Bulletin #21-033-14, October 22, 2014

For vehicles equipped with the W5A580 transmission:

A small number of customers may experience a MIL and possibly DTC P0730. In addition to correcting the DTC, the following TCM calibration improvements are now available. These updates are broken down by vehicle line and engine category. (I'm only going to list the JK specific stuff).

- Hanging in gear during HOT ambient temperature conditions while vehicle is loaded or towing.
- Delayed downshift when driving at altitudes higher than 2500 feet.
- Inconsistent shifting when towing or while driving up or down steep hills.
- Delayed upshift while driving in 4 low.
- Intermittent delayed shift.
- Delayed engagement when shifting from drive to reverse while in 4 low (JK Rubicon only)
- Delayed shift from second gear while towing or driving on steep grades. (JK Rubicon only)
- Intermittent delayed engagement from reverse to drive.

There may be more in this TSB that addresses other issues, but these are the pertinent ones to my issues. I just got this today and haven't trail tested it yet, but the highlighted items above were my symptoms, so I'm hopeful this will fix it.

Regards,
Frank
Just wanted to post a few words about my wifes 2010 JK. She has had it 11 months and 2 weeks and has put maybe 8000 miles on it. When we bought it it had 29,000 miles on it. She had an issue happen the other day on the way home and on the way to work where she was going to accelerate after making a turn and the RPMS shot up, but the vehicle actually felt like it was slowing down. Almost like it had gone into neutral she said. We had it towed to the dealer on Monday and yesterday they finally called and said that the transmission was bad, and would either be rebuilt or replaced depending on the cost comparison between the two, and they would decide. Last night they said they would rebuild it, they had access to the rebuild kit, but the valve body was not in stock, and may take up to another whole week at least to get in. If they would have had to replace the transmission, they said they we're on backorder with no firm ship date. She is very confused as to why a 37,000 mile transmission would have gone bad, we don't tow anything, and have not taken it offroad even. Her extended warranty she purchased runs out in 2-1/2 weeks so luckily this should only cost her the deductible she has, but it is her daily driver for work so that part is not so good. Just wanted to see if anyone else had run into this premature failure. Great forum,
and glad to be here

Marc
Old 12-12-2014, 09:27 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Flywrangler
Service Bulletin #21-033-14, October 22, 2014 For vehicles equipped with the W5A580 transmission: A small number of customers may experience a MIL and possibly DTC P0730. In addition to correcting the DTC, the following TCM calibration improvements are now available. These updates are broken down by vehicle line and engine category. (I'm only going to list the JK specific stuff). - Hanging in gear during HOT ambient temperature conditions while vehicle is loaded or towing. - Delayed downshift when driving at altitudes higher than 2500 feet. - Inconsistent shifting when towing or while driving up or down steep hills. - Delayed upshift while driving in 4 low. - Intermittent delayed shift. - Delayed engagement when shifting from drive to reverse while in 4 low (JK Rubicon only) - Delayed shift from second gear while towing or driving on steep grades. (JK Rubicon only) - Intermittent delayed engagement from reverse to drive. There may be more in this TSB that addresses other issues, but these are the pertinent ones to my issues. I just got this today and haven't trail tested it yet, but the highlighted items above were my symptoms, so I'm hopeful this will fix it. Regards, Frank
thank you to Flywrangler for posting this! I went to Pollard Jeep in Boulder, CO. I will say a few great things here about Pollard. They aren't the typical dealership we know that tries to rake you across the coals. Every experience I have had with them has been great! Next, I observed some of the characteristics listed in the above post. I decided to screen shot, take my Jeep to Pollard and have an update. They informed me my warranty was out on time in August and mileage just last week. Either way, I was paying. When I showed the lead service tech the screen shot, he said the classic "haven't heard this one yet". He also acknowledged the service bulletin number, they looked it up and proceeded with installing software updates. To my surprise, they charged me $0. I suspected it would be covered under the power train warranty but it is not. My 3/36 is expired and would indicate I have to pay. They literally waived the entire fee, including the $97 diagnostic fee. Posts like the one from Flywrangler are informative and effective. Thank you for the forum and members like Flywrangler! Now, onto the function of the transmission. It is shifting much better. No longer holding a gear too long, downshifts properly and the only thing left to try is the 4Lo glitch of not engaging. In speaking with the tech, he looked up the TSB code and told me it was defiantly there, they just haven't seen it from customers yet. But, they also state they sell more manuals than autos. I'll try to report back once I get some 4Lo time. Cheers!
Old 12-12-2014, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
thank you to Flywrangler for posting this! I went to Pollard Jeep in Boulder, CO. I will say a few great things here about Pollard. They aren't the typical dealership we know that tries to rake you across the coals. Every experience I have had with them has been great! Next, I observed some of the characteristics listed in the above post. I decided to screen shot, take my Jeep to Pollard and have an update. They informed me my warranty was out on time in August and mileage just last week. Either way, I was paying. When I showed the lead service tech the screen shot, he said the classic "haven't heard this one yet". He also acknowledged the service bulletin number, they looked it up and proceeded with installing software updates. To my surprise, they charged me $0. I suspected it would be covered under the power train warranty but it is not. My 3/36 is expired and would indicate I have to pay. They literally waived the entire fee, including the $97 diagnostic fee. Posts like the one from Flywrangler are informative and effective. Thank you for the forum and members like Flywrangler! Now, onto the function of the transmission. It is shifting much better. No longer holding a gear too long, downshifts properly and the only thing left to try is the 4Lo glitch of not engaging. In speaking with the tech, he looked up the TSB code and told me it was defiantly there, they just haven't seen it from customers yet. But, they also state they sell more manuals than autos. I'll try to report back once I get some 4Lo time. Cheers!
Your right, they are a good dealer and do a good Hemi swap too!!
Old 12-13-2014, 03:47 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks Flywrangler for the bulletin. Once I get my Jeep out of storage I will see if the update helps. As mentioned before I know that my issue is twofold. I had some tranny hiccups pre surcharger but it elevated to ridiculous after the install. Maybe between Chrysler and Magnuson I may one day have a shifting auto I can live with. For now I have simply learned to deal with it as there isn't much else I can do. I will repost once I get the updates. In the meantime it's time to start the King coilover install and truss work.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:22 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Blown-JK
Thanks Flywrangler for the bulletin. Once I get my Jeep out of storage I will see if the update helps. As mentioned before I know that my issue is twofold. I had some tranny hiccups pre surcharger but it elevated to ridiculous after the install. Maybe between Chrysler and Magnuson I may one day have a shifting auto I can live with. For now I have simply learned to deal with it as there isn't much else I can do. I will repost once I get the updates. In the meantime it's time to start the King coilover install and truss work.
I seem to recall reading about the Magna charger and a fix they had for the tranny and their SC.

Quick Reply: JK Automatic Transmission Problems?