Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JK axle shaft not going back into diff!?

Old 05-19-2018, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK axle shaft not going back into diff!?

Hey all. I replaced the ball joints with new teraflex bjs and as I'm trying to slide the passenger side axle shaft in, it's like maybe a half inch from seating onto the knuckle. It's just far enough away that I can't get any threads from the 12 pt bolts into the hub to try to draw it in. Anyone ever have this issue?
Old 05-19-2018, 04:20 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

you really gone and messed it up now!

LOL, j/k. you should be able to reinsert that shaft all the way. You don't need to use the bearing bolts to help pull it in. sounds like you don't have the splines lined up properly or something. Can't rotate it just a bit and get it to push the rest of the way in?
Old 05-19-2018, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

What year jeep? The 'new' style axle shaft seals can be a pain to slide through as opposed to the old ones that didn't seal so well. Be gentle, but it's probably hung up on that seal......or.......your plastic axle support pieces may be lodged in between the shaft and that differential. A flashlight and a broom handle should help if that's the issue.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you get the plastic spacers out with the axle? If not they can get pushed in with the axle and ruin the seal. Ask me how I know. There will be two plastic spacers on each side that help the axle slide through the seal. They do not always come out with the shaft. Pull the shaft and loom in with a flashlight. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pbeabout
Did you get the plastic spacers out with the axle? If not they can get pushed in with the axle and ruin the seal. Ask me how I know. There will be two plastic spacers on each side that help the axle slide through the seal. They do not always come out with the shaft. Pull the shaft and loom in with a flashlight. Good luck.
yep, that took care of it. Indeed it was the plastic washer got lodged in some dirt and was blocking it from going in. I got it with a wire hanger and broke up the dirt too and sucked it out with a shop vac. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: JK axle shaft not going back into diff!?