Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK Control Arms: Short versus Long with 4" lift

Old 02-13-2011, 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Control Arms: Short versus Long with 4" lift

I have a 4-door JK and I am considering the Johnny Joint CAs. What are your views on getting short versus long arms? I have a 4" lift and 35" tires.

1. Better on-road handling with short arms
2. More travel and articulation off-road with long arms
3. Is additional cost on parts and labor for long arms worth it?
4. Maintanence
5. Would just starting with front lower and rear upper short arms be in improvement?
6. I have installed front and rear CV drive shafts (Coast 1310) and 5.13 diff gearing

Note: I have not installed longer front or rear track bars, but would with the new CAs

Last edited by ry2dsrt; 02-13-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:49 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

actually, long arms will give you better ON-ROAD handling as they will restore your supension geometry to being closer to stock. also, long arms don't necessarily give you more articulation, they just give you more correct articulation. if anything, they can potentially rob you of ground clearance. depending on the joints your arms have, maintenace would be the same. adjustable front lowers will allow you to add a bit more positive caster and that will help your jeep to feel less flightly at highway speeds. rear uppers are only needed if you install a u-joint style drive shaft.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
actually, long arms will give you better ON-ROAD handling as they will restore your supension geometry to being closer to stock. also, long arms don't necessarily give you more articulation, they just give you more correct articulation. if anything, they can potentially rob you of ground clearance. depending on the joints your arms have, maintenace would be the same. adjustable front lowers will allow you to add a bit more positive caster and that will help your jeep to feel less flightly at highway speeds. rear uppers are only needed if you install a u-joint style drive shaft.
thanks. I am considering Teraflex CAs. My local 4x4 shop doesn't recommend Rubicon Express (bushing problems). What CA brand would you suggest to avoid lossing ground clearance?
Old 02-13-2011, 08:59 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by ry2dsrt
thanks. I am considering Teraflex CAs. My local 4x4 shop doesn't recommend Rubicon Express (bushing problems). What CA brand would you suggest to avoid lossing ground clearance?
i have personally run teraflex, full-traction and jks control arms and they are all great choices. being that you're only planning to run 35's, i would stick with short arms. if you were to go to 37's or bigger, long arms would be the way to go.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

i have personally run teraflex, full-traction and jks control arms and they are all great choices. being that you're only planning to run 35's, i would stick with short arms. if you were to go to 37's or bigger, long arms would be the way to go.
I have invested in 5.13 gearing. Aside from an increase in ground clearance what advantage would their be in running 37" tires? Wouldn't want to later buy 5.38 gearing. Installing short arms would limit my choices later. However, long arms are about $1,300 more with parts and labor.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:07 AM
JK-Forum Founder

I have invested in 5.13 gearing. Aside from an increase in ground clearance what advantage would their be in running 37" tires? Wouldn't want to later buy 5.38 gearing. Installing short arms would limit my choices later. However, long arms are about $1,300 more with parts and labor.
actually, running 37's and 5.13's is a good strong setup and what i prefer to run. depending on how hard you play, 5.38's would be a weak point as the pinion gets to be real small.

in addition to increased ground clearance, 37's would also give you greater breakover angles, a bigger footprint and the ability to overcome larger obstacles and taller ledges. but, for most people, 35's is all that you really need and it's a lot cheaper way to go. for whatever it's worth, there's nothing wrong with short arms and the ones that come on JK's are actually pretty long especially when compared to the old TJ. in fact, i have run short arms with 37's and coilovers in the past and it worked great.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:12 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm currently replacing my RE with TF, because of the bushing issue.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:21 AM
JK Super Freak

actually, running 37's and 5.13's is a good strong setup and what i prefer to run. depending on how hard you play, 5.38's would be a weak point as the pinion gets to be real small.

in addition to increased ground clearance, 37's would also give you greater breakover angles, a bigger footprint and the ability to overcome larger obstacles and taller ledges. but, for most people, 35's is all that you really need and it's a lot cheaper way to go. for whatever it's worth, there's nothing wrong with short arms and the ones that come on JK's are actually pretty long especially when compared to the old TJ. in fact, i have run short arms with 37's and coilovers in the past and it worked great.
i just broke both stock rear lower arms in half out on the trail. i replaced them with stock ones for now. along with a stock rear drive shaft i had as a spare since it broke when the pinion rotated up after the lowers gave out.

ruling out cost as a factor my question is the 2 or 3 days of labor to install the long arms myself worth the ride difference on and off road? i am looking at the rock krawler long arm due to the improved ground clearance and design or full set of currie arms.

Quick Reply: JK Control Arms: Short versus Long with 4" lift