Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jk Dana 60 rear Axel

Old 04-24-2020, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jk Dana 60 rear Axel

I am new to the forum and was wondering if there are any junkyard Dana 60 axils that fit under the jku and if ther are what are they off of I was planing on doing a 60 in the rear and a 40 in the front. But don’t want to pay an arm and a leg for them I know I could do a 14 bolt but I don’t like the idea of the press on tone rings if you guys have any ideas let me know I am also planning on doing the 3 link from 7 slot customs.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Seems the 2005+ superdutys are the front axle of choice with either the matching sterling rear or a 14 bolt.
Some have reported issues with the sterling rubbing the fuel tank.

Artec has a nice article on it: LINK

Old 04-25-2020, 06:47 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

There are no bolt on junkyard axles. Any axle you put on from the junk yard is going to need the tone rings installed if you want the speedo and anti lock brakes to work. You are also going to need brackets installed and likely a ring and pinion + locker installed, proper flange or yoke installed, new driveshafts. Front would be a 44 and nobody does a front junk yard 44. You are still looking at $5-9K for the axles plus new wheels to get junkyard axles on your JK. Axle swaps are an arm and a leg no matter what. If you have the time, skills, and can find the ideal doner its worth doing but if you don't and have to pay someone to do the gears and welding then you might as well buy new axles. Look at Fusion4x4.com They are not too far from you.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I appreciate the help i knew I was going to have to do all the trusses ,ring and pinion swap not to concerned about that but. I do know that artec industries makes a tone ring hub for the Dana 60s and just didn’t know if som trunk had a Dana 60 in the rear that I could try an fit those hubs with. My big issue is that I do want to keep my abs and speedo and don’t like the idea of just drilling a hole for the abs sensor on a gym 14 bolt because of mud debris getting in. but it sounds like a 14 bolt is what I am looking for with a shaved pumpkin.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

Not sure why you need the bigger axles. Do you want to do extreme rock crawling? With the 6 cyl engine would you not be better off simply gearing down the Dana 44's I presume you have. Or are you after monster wheels which is nice with full floating rear axles. Dirtman is correct- get ready to open the wallet $$$$$$$.

Quick Reply: Jk Dana 60 rear Axel