Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JK Steering wheel play and drifting

Old 12-20-2018, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Steering wheel play and drifting

Recently installed a 3.5" JKS lift and BFG 35s on my 2007 JK. I'm experiencing play in the steering wheel and it feels like it wants to drift within the lane (most noticable at freeway speeds). Its been aligned so I don't believe it's an alignment issue. Any thoughts?
Old 12-20-2018, 09:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

3.5" is pretty aggressive, specially on a 2dr. Did you re-correct caster in some manner during/after the lift?

Either way, what is the current caster spec as it sits now?

Last edited by resharp001; 12-20-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree. Sounds like a caster issue that's making the JK feel twitchy at highway speeds.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

A number of potential issues here. Caster has correctly been pointed out as an issue. Toe in is also a major factor. Also your tire pressure should be adjusted down from the factory 37 PSI spec to something more appropriate for the diameter, tread width and sidewall stiffness.

I'll add that your front lower control arm length is critical to stability. Too long and it throws everything out of the proper relationship. One kit mfr some time ago had specs that were off by nearly an inch too long. Probably cost them hundreds of frustrated customers.

Quick Reply: JK Steering wheel play and drifting