Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JK towing with 5:38 gearing. help please!

Old 05-05-2014, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK towing with 5:38 gearing. help please!

Ok so i have a 2 door 2011 JK that i geared down to 5:38 gearing. I have pulled some of my buddies wakeboard boats with it. does great around town but not so much on the interstate but I can use a buddies truck if we ever go out of town with it. I know my manual says 2,000 pounds. But that is with stock gearing. Im now buying my own wakeboard boat and this is the big question in my head. can I safely haul a 3,500 pound Mastercraft a few days a week or do i need to invest in a truck just for the boat?

thank yall,
Kaleb Booher
Old 05-05-2014, 07:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Booher828
Ok so i have a 2 door 2011 JK that i geared down to 5:38 gearing. I have pulled some of my buddies wakeboard boats with it. does great around town but not so much on the interstate but I can use a buddies truck if we ever go out of town with it. I know my manual says 2,000 pounds. But that is with stock gearing. Im now buying my own wakeboard boat and this is the big question in my head. can I safely haul a 3,500 pound Mastercraft a few days a week or do i need to invest in a truck just for the boat?

thank yall,
Kaleb Booher
Can u yes. Safely idk. Legally nope. It has a lot to do with brakes and wheel base. Not just gearing and power. The jks tow rating is weird though. The new Cherokee with 2.4 or 3.2 is rated at something like 4500-5000lbs and it's no way bigger than a jku. Bottom line is I would say pick up a cheap 70-80 gm pickup on graigslist for cheap
Old 05-05-2014, 08:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look at what the European JK tow rating is and go from there. I think it is 3500 if I recall correctly
Old 05-05-2014, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

ok thank yall. the trailer will be tandom axle with trailer brakes so that should help a lot with the stopping part.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:37 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Call your insurance company and see if they will cover you in an accident while towing more than the rated weight. Could be a whole lot cheaper to buy buy a used truck.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Call your insurance company and see if they will cover you in an accident while towing more than the rated weight. Could be a whole lot cheaper to buy buy a used truck.
Better yet, read your policy. Most don't read it until something happens. By then, your outta luck.

Most policies if insurance cover "stupidity." Heh

To a person who said it was a brakes issue a few posts up, it's not a brake issue. For a 2-door, it is wheelbase, weight of the 2-door, and mediocre at best power and cooling.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:50 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by CerOf
Better yet, read your policy. Most don't read it until something happens. By then, your outta luck.

Most policies if insurance cover "stupidity." Heh

To a person who said it was a brakes issue a few posts up, it's not a brake issue. For a 2-door, it is wheelbase, weight of the 2-door, and mediocre at best power and cooling.

Highway safety commission takes into account weight length width power (both tq and hp) as well as braking and cooling abilities. So yes braking plays a role in a vehicle's towing capacities

From truck trend

New SAE Standards
The upcoming SAE J2807 recommended practices will include five areas of testing: structure, propulsion, thermal, handling, and braking. The structure tests validate body, bumper, and frame strength and the hitch itself. The propulsion tests include: launching five times in five minutes, in forward and reverse, on a (very steep) 12-percent grade; zero to 30, zero-to-60, and 40-60-mph level-road acceleration tests; and minimum speed on the Davis Dam grade.

Last edited by Tooadvanced; 05-05-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

appreciating the comments and different view points on this topic. Please keep them coming. Im in college and work full time and love my jeep, really cant see it practical to have two vehicles while in school and i deffinently dont want to part ways with my JK. But my love for wakeboarding is greater than the jeeplife.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Booher828
appreciating the comments and different view points on this topic. Please keep them coming. Im in college and work full time and love my jeep, really cant see it practical to have two vehicles while in school and i deffinently dont want to part ways with my JK. But my love for wakeboarding is greater than the jeeplife.
If your pulling it 5 miles down the road, I'd say go for it. If the roads are under 40mph, I'd say go for it; otherwise, not worth it.
As for brakes on the JK, they are actually quite good.

The tow rating being lower, and I've posted this before based in a conversation I've had with jeep engineer is the JK could not maintain speed on Davis dam test, I70 out of Colorado and couldn't handle the heat of august towing through death valley. They then rate the JK for the lowest common denominator.

The frame, drivetrain, wheelbase, brakes are all up to it. The engine and cooling are the main issues (for a JKU). The 2-door has other issues, chiefly, wheelbase.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any thought of replacing the 2 dr with a 4 dr, which can tow 3500 lbs?

Quick Reply: JK towing with 5:38 gearing. help please!