Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK Unlimited Interior Racks

Old 05-01-2011, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Unlimited Interior Racks

Anyone have any input on which is the best interior trail rack for the JKU? I have had an Olympic Mountaineer Rack in two previous TJs, and I am considering adding one in the JK.

I see that Olympic makes the Mountaineer Rack for the JKU, and though I am partial to it as I have some first-hand experience with it, I also know that the have a history of leaving nice puddles of rusty water stains in the interior (at least in my old Jeeps.) I have the habit of running without a roof, or just with a Safari Bikini all 3 seasons out of the year.

I see there are a few others out there with somewhat similar designs...

Bestop Highrock 4x4 Rack (It is plastic and will not rust, but it looks plastic and I am not crazy about the mounting design.) I have not had any first-hand experience with it but would love to hear from those that have.

Tuffy Security Deck would do about the same thing, though it is an additional $150 over the Olympic rack. It would provide some additional security the Olympic and Bestop racks do not, but would also not be removed as easy to throw the dog in the back.

Decisions, decisions... As always, any help is appreciated.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:21 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a Kilby rack, supports up to 300 pounds, all metal, very solid construction.

Attachment 155996 Attachment 155997 Attachment 155998 Attachment 155999 Attachment 156001
Old 05-02-2011, 12:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Love that kilby rack. Wonder if it would work with a trektop, looks like it extends just too much.

You think there is a way to cut the width of the basket down and weld back together?
Old 05-02-2011, 04:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Cedo Nulli
Love that kilby rack. Wonder if it would work with a trektop, looks like it extends just too much.

You think there is a way to cut the width of the basket down and weld back together?
Sure, if you have some fabricating skills, I think that would be easy to do. Look at the first picture and you can see the attaching point in the rear, centerline of the rear seatbelt spool. I bet you could cut everything beyond that attaching bracket and just re-weld the basket and rack sidewall.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:54 AM
JK Freak

The Kilby rack looks real nice. Did they go out of buisness?
Old 05-02-2011, 05:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MikeReo
The Kilby rack looks real nice. Did they go out of buisness?
You know.....I am not sure, I bought my rack a few years ago. If you know about any of the "Benchmark Manfacturing" threads here on the forum, well I had the same problems with wait times and customer service. It took a while to get the rack, but it's a quality piece of kit. I think they were bought by someone and are still around.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

Well, I went with old faithful and decided to go with the Olypic Mountaineer Rack. It should be here and installed by the weekend.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Well, I got the rack yesterday... It will be going back early next week. It did not come with all the necessary hardware, but more importantly it will not fit in the 2011 without cutting into some of the interior panels in the rear. I guess I am going to run without a rack until I see something in person that I can live with.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:30 PM
JK Jedi Master

The 2011 interior is very different than the previous JKs. Most manufacturers are scrambling to make changes for the new interior. It may be best to call whatever manufacturer and confirm that they have a product for the new JKs before ordering another one.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:07 PM
JK Newbie

Default Interior sport rack

hey I just bought this rack for my 4 dr JK it is one of a kind really cool check it out. let me know if you need info.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3269.jpg
Views:	2064
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	490490Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3271.jpg
Views:	1684
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	490492Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3279.jpg
Views:	1705
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	490493