Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JK Willys OEM Rock Sliders

Old 04-20-2018, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Willys OEM Rock Sliders

What's the general consensus on the rock sliders that come standard on the JK Willys model? Are they effective? Or junk?
Old 04-20-2018, 07:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless I'm mistaken, the rock rails on the Willys are the same as the Rubicon, so however effective those are should answer your question.

In terms of real life bouncing off rocks, I unfortunately can't help you with any firsthand experience.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't trust mine and replaced them. They only mount to the tub with pretty small hardware. I went with frame mounted ones.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:29 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

If you are going to play in big rocks in which you might really lean up against em, you need something more substantial. If you're looking at some that have tube one em....like the hard rock models, those will indeed flex up and cave in your rockers. They are fine for light wheelin, but they are not heavy duty.
The following users liked this post:
wandrur (04-21-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

A friend of mine that I wheel with had the OEM ones. The were okay for light stuff, but when he dropped off a ledge (which then put most of the weight of the vehicle on the sliders), they bowed his tub outward a bit. As cedarraider said, they don't mount to the frame.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
A friend of mine that I wheel with had the OEM ones. The were okay for light stuff, but when he dropped off a ledge (which then put most of the weight of the vehicle on the sliders), they bowed his tub outward a bit. .
^^^this is my exact experience, except I thought mine might have been worse as I have some tube welded to the side of the rubi rail for a step, which then put more pressure/leverage on the slider, pushing it up and in to my rocker. Ugh. Reiterate what I said before and what jedg said....ok for "light" stuff, get something of real quality if you're looking to get serious.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I had the Rubi rails (same as the Willys ones) on my JK back when I bought it. It took 2 wheeling trips for me to drop off a rock, and land on my passenger side rail. Dented the rocker as the rail flexed up, and I ended up covering the dent with rocker armor. Upgraded to frame mounted (VKS weld on) sliders. I trust these much muuucchhhh more, and they've proven themselves/prevented more body damage. Not to mention, it prevents people from dinging your doors in parking lots; Their doors will hit the rock sliders first

Quick Reply: JK Willys OEM Rock Sliders