Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JK's d30

Old 09-16-2009, 04:13 PM
***erator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 35's an it is fine I do plan on doing the sleeve and gusset thing so it does not bend. But I am going 37's on the next set of tires.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porters
great question.

You have part of the equation right and part is not quite right.

Yes, most axles break from too much skinny pedal. You try and get over an obstacle and one tire starts to spin and then when that spinning tire suddenly regains traction so much force is exerted on that one shaft it breaks. Locking the axles keeps any one tire from spinning as much so the chance of breaking axles is lower.

However, the idea that lockers distribute the applied force equally, 25 ft/lbs per axle as you say is not correct. Open diffs try and distribute the applied torque equally. Lets simplify and take the example of 2wd where one tire is on ice and the other tire is not. In an open diff the tire on the ice has near 0 ft/lbs of torque as the applied force cannot build up due and move the vehicle due to the spinning wheel. The opposite wheel, even though it’s not on ice also has near 0 ft/lbs of torque applied because the open diff is keeping the force at both wheels equal. So you don’t move and sit there and spin.

A locker does the opposite of an open diff. Instead of distributing the applied force equally like and open diff it concentrates the applied force at the axle with the most traction. In the ice example, if the applied force is 100 ft/lbs then the tire on the ice has near 0 ft/lbs of applied force and the tire not on the ice has all 100 ft/lbs of torque. In the locked case the vehicle will move. Lockers are useful in unequal traction scenarios like ice and lifted tires because they concentrate the applied force at the wheel with the most traction, transferring the force away from tires with little or no traction to those tires with traction.

Lockers can transfer up to 100% of the applied force to a specific tire. Limited slip diffs, depending on the type, can transfer between 50 and 75% of the applied force to a specific tire. Open diffs do not transfer any force to the opposite tire.

So back to the question at hand, will a locker reduce the risk of breakage? In some respects lockers will decrease the chance of breaking stuff from skinny pedal + spinning tires scenario. On the other hand lockers vastly increase the stress on the drive train and the forces applied to specific wheels way beyond open diffs increasing the chance of breakage in situations where one wheel has the majority of the traction thus increasing the risk of breakage. Again it comes back to the driver. If you do something stupid you can break an locked diff as easily as you can break and open diff.
under stand all that, but what about the quick transfer when the stuck wheel becomes unstuck, those little spiders see alot of action, this wouldn't happen with a locker, but i guess it just goes to the next weekest link. How about loss of traction at the rubber for a weekest link
Old 09-17-2009, 11:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Long story short. Yes, a locker helps prevent one wheel from spinning and then suddenly stopping when it encounters traction. This is one of the most common ways to break chit and lockers do help prevent it. But lockers put a lot of stress on the drive train so use them sparingly and only when you have to. The more you use lockers the sooner your drive train parts will break from stress and fatigue.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

the only reason i am getting rid of my d30 is so i can fit 5.38s in the ol' jeep
Old 09-17-2009, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

how do 4.88 work with 37s?
Old 09-17-2009, 12:26 PM
JK Super Freak

I like charts.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	JK Gearing.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	30285  
Old 09-17-2009, 12:32 PM
JK Freak

I like charts.

I like turtles...

Old 09-17-2009, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cyruspura
I like turtles...

wow i've never seen that painting before

i've seen the video a few times... the painting is just amazing
Old 09-17-2009, 01:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Long story short. Yes, a locker helps prevent one wheel from spinning and then suddenly stopping when it encounters traction. This is one of the most common ways to break chit and lockers do help prevent it. But lockers put a lot of stress on the drive train so use them sparingly and only when you have to. The more you use lockers the sooner your drive train parts will break from stress and fatigue.
almost though of putting in an auto matic lockers. sounds like the cheap way to go. i guess i'll start saving for selectable ones. there is no way selectable is worse
Old 09-17-2009, 01:32 PM
JK Super Freak

If you can afford it selectables are the ultimate. They reduce stress on the drive train, they offer more options off-road as locked diffs are not always the answer to every situation, and they ride the best on the road.

Quick Reply: JK's d30