Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jks vs rock krawler vs teraflex

Old 06-10-2017, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jks vs rock krawler vs teraflex

I'm stuck, I spend 90% on road and about 10% on trails. I have heard good and bad with rock krawler and teraflex but not so much with jks. I want a good freeway ride and nothing too rough as I drive to Colorado from Texas twice a year but I wanna capable lift for some off roading. What's the best lift of these or does anyone have a better suggestion? Thanks in advance
Old 06-10-2017, 11:44 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

10% off road is a bunch, most people are less then 2%.
That being said, the lift you pick has little to do with your off road capability. Tires, lockers, and proper gearing are the things that get you performance off road. For most people not looking to squeezes every bit of articulation they can from their set up lift is basically just more room for extra tire clearance. Be wary of the companies telling you how much extra flex they have or how their high speed bump stops are bad ass, most of this marketing is bs and not needed my most people. There are lots of companies making lifts for the JK and you need to find the one that meets your budget and gives you the amount of adjustment you need for the things you drive on. A little more explanation of what you actually are going to be doing off road would help.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah sorry 10% is a bit much lol, probably closer to 5% mainly trails in coloarado and hunting in south Texas and some weekend warrior type stuff. Not looking for max flex just some more height to fit some 35's eventually and then have great on road manners but be able to have a little more fun on the trails.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:23 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

There is a link right at the bottom of Planmans post. Click it...

Oops, meant Dirtman , not planman

Last edited by nthinuf; 06-11-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have had RK and TF and right now I have AEV and I am a total AEV fanboy. you want the best possible on road ride that will still do tough trials it really is a good set up. I was a RK fanboy but really there was nothing the RK did better and the AEV is so much better on fast twisty roads. I am not hardcore like many but go to Moab every year and do trails like Kane Creek, Golden Spike and behind the rocks etc, the rubicon trail and dusy ershim. I don't do things like KOH and the like. If you are 95% on the road and DD it is hard to beat the aev 3.5".
Old 06-10-2017, 05:25 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
I was a RK fanboy but really there was nothing the RK did better and the AEV is so much better on fast twisty roads.
Just curious what the background is for that statement, which AEV components are performaing better than their RK counterparts? Coil or shock specific? Or is it something like you have a flip with the aev, and did not with the rk? Or you have ca drop brackets with aev, and had steeper angles with rk arms?
Old 06-10-2017, 06:32 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Just curious what the background is for that statement, which AEV components are performaing better than their RK counterparts? Coil or shock specific? Or is it something like you have a flip with the aev, and did not with the rk? Or you have ca drop brackets with aev, and had steeper angles with rk arms?
I ran 3 different RK lifts (1.5. 2.5,3.5) and installed at least 4 others since 2013. I thought they were great. I ran geo brackets for a while with the RK and then went to adjustable control arms and did not notice any real difference seat of the pants. with the 1.5" I ran rancho shocks and with the other two I ran the Bilstien shocks that RK recommended at the time. I had two rear sets of coils sag very quickly. The fronts did not sag but were looking very ugly after only 6 months. On the RK 2.5 I did not need the flip kit on the 3.5 probably could have used it but I really had very little bumpsteer. Early on I replaced the RK trackbar with the a TF trackbar. I thought the RK was a good riding handling lift until I went with the AEV I guess the only thing that I can back my statement up with is I just like how the AEV lift drives and rides better.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:36 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by nthinuf
I ran 3 different RK lifts (1.5. 2.5,3.5) and installed at least 4 others since 2013. I thought they were great. I ran geo brackets for a while with the RK and then went to adjustable control arms and did not notice any real difference seat of the pants. with the 1.5" I ran rancho shocks and with the other two I ran the Bilstien shocks that RK recommended at the time. I had two rear sets of coils sag very quickly. The fronts did not sag but were looking very ugly after only 6 months. On the RK 2.5 I did not need the flip kit on the 3.5 probably could have used it but I really had very little bumpsteer. Early on I replaced the RK trackbar with the a TF trackbar. I thought the RK was a good riding handling lift until I went with the AEV I guess the only thing that I can back my statement up with is I just like how the AEV lift drives and rides better. I have been to Moab several times with the RK and only once with the AEV but have run the same trails with both last year and this year (Golden Spike and Kane Creek being the two hardest ones that I ran both with) I ran behind the rocks this year with the aev but did not run it with the RK. the AEV did just as well on those trails and the ride to and from (about 800 miles one way) was more enjoyable with the AEV. I ran with the same tires as well.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:41 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

AEV has better geometry, it should be no surprise it rides better then RK even though the fan boys praise how good it is to justify their purchase.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:56 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
AEV has better geometry, it should be no surprise it rides better then RK even though the fan boys praise how good it is to justify their purchase.
I admittedly am now an aev fanboy, but my praise is not to justify the purchase but to rather say it drives great. I aint going to race KOH or do anything tougher than the dusy ershim (I consider that tough or at least it was for me I thought it was way tougher than the rubicon) but I drive long distances between trails ie moab is 800 miles one way and go there at least once a year sometimes twice, and Colorado is about 1000 miles and California over a 1000 miles and even my local wheeling places are over 200 miles round trip so I like something that handles well at 80mph for hours on end.

Quick Reply: Jks vs rock krawler vs teraflex