Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JKU 3.6L Manual with 34" regear help

Old 05-13-2014, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JKU 3.6L Manual with 34" regear help

I've had a rough time finding the info I'm looking for. I'm hoping somebody shares my, near as possible, setup. I have a 2012 3.6L JKU with the 6 speed MANUAL transmission. I'm currently running 34" tires, 2.5" lift, 3.21 gears and have added about 300-400lbs of extra weight by the way of the front and rear bumpers and a winch. I'm looking to regear and I've seen the regearing charts recommendations but I'm looking for real world opinions from folks with a similar setup. My Jeep is my weekend fun vehicle. It's mainly used for around town bar hopping, beach cruising and the occasional recreational off roading...mudholes, sandy trails, moderate inclines. I'm looking into either 4.10's or 4.56's. Anybody have some first hand info on preferences?
Old 05-13-2014, 10:10 AM
JK Newbie

I've not regeared yet, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. It depends on where you drive; i.e. mountains, hills, Florida. Personal driving style is a factor as well. I've talked to a few guys running 3.73 and 35's and extra weight and don't complain about it a bit. Some shops will recommend 4.56 and others will say 4.88. I would think with that kind of weight, 4.10's wouldn't be worth the price, since aftermarket 4.10's are rare(anyone correct me if I am wrong). I intend on going 4.56 when I regear. Also, don't forget to add lockers or lsd at that time

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/atta...7&d=1399067410

Last edited by e jeepin j; 05-14-2014 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Correct gear chart
Old 05-13-2014, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by e jeepin j
I've not regeared yet, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. It depends on where you drive; i.e. mountains, hills, Florida. Personal driving style is a factor as well. I've talked to a few guys running 3.73 and 35's and extra weight and don't complain about it a bit. Some shops will recommend 4.56 and others will say 4.88. I would think with that kind of weight, 4.10's wouldn't be worth the price, since aftermarket 4.10's are rare(anyone correct me if I am wrong). I intend on going 4.56 when I regear. Also, don't forget to add lockers or lsd at that time

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-chart-156127/
Thanks for your input. I live in the Florida Panhandle so it's fairly flat. With that said I'm in the military so at any moment I could be back in the Rocky Mountain area or somewhere with more snow than rain. I'm trying to find a happy medium.

Last edited by therdcoast; 05-13-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by therdcoast
Thanks for your input. I live in the Florida Panhandle so it's fairly flat. With that said I'm in the military so at any moment I could be back in the Rocky Mountain area or somewhere with more snow than rain. I'm trying to find a happy medium.
Yeah, with that in mind, I would say 4.56. 4.10's in the Rocky Mountains would be a bear.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am running a 3 inch lift with basically 33.5 inch terra grapplers and just installed a new rear bumper/tire carrier combo from LOD also. Now with that said mine is a 2012 6 speed manual with the 3.21 gears. I live in SWFL and I drove it to Jeep Beach in Daytona and was loaded down with crap and had no issue at all. In fact I was in 6th gear a lot of the time just cruising along. The only time I notice issues is with a head wind on the interstate. In town has no bearing. I use mine to go to the beach and all. Not too much into the mud so I dont do any of that. Eventually I plan on regearing and I am leaning with the 4.56 gears but I have yet to have any issues or see the need to spend the $$ yet for it. I have driven this way for almost 2 years now. Now when these tires are worn out I will be going to 35's then maybe I will need to readdress this. Just my opinion but the prices I have been quoted I would rather purchase "other" items for my Jeep. My 2 cents worth nothing.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 12 Rubicon with a 6 speed manual. When I had 34 inch tires it was absolutely perfect. Since I went with bigger tires I wish I had a little more gear. If you aren't planning on going any bigger 4.10 is perfect.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:00 PM
JK Newbie

I have 35s and 4.10 gears with the 3.6 and manual trans. So far I have been able to do everything I've wanted it to do. Up and down hills occasionally shifting into 5th gear and plenty of off road and rock crawling with no issues or concerns. The only reason I am planning on re-gearing is because I plan to go to 37s. With everyone re-gearing for this reason or that you should be able to pick some up for a real reasonable price.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-USMarine
I have 35s and 4.10 gears with the 3.6 and manual trans. So far I have been able to do everything I've wanted it to do. Up and down hills occasionally shifting into 5th gear and plenty of off road and rock crawling with no issues or concerns. The only reason I am planning on re-gearing is because I plan to go to 37s. With everyone re-gearing for this reason or that you should be able to pick some up for a real reasonable price.
I've got a 2 door '14 Rubicon with 315/70-17 Mastercraft tires, and I consider the gearing too high since adding the larger tires. In 6th gear below 55mph, a strong headwind or a slight incline will make it lose 5-10 mph. Basically there's no power below 1500RPM on these engines IMHO.

Steve
Old 05-13-2014, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

If it were me, I'd go 4:56 or 4:88. I've got a 2013 2-door Rubi 6-speed and just changed from 4:10 to 4:56. If I had to do it again, I'd go 4:88 for the better performance. Since I run 35's, the 4:56 gears brought my RPM's right back up to stock numbers from when I had the stock Rubi tires and 4:10 gears. So there's no change in mileage and it drives just as it did when I was stock. The 4:88's aren't that much lower.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm running 34 on 3.73 auto 13. It's tolerable but I have 4.10 going in soon that I picked up of a forum member for cheap

Quick Reply: JKU 3.6L Manual with 34" regear help