Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JKU Suspension refresh

Old 02-12-2018, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JKU Suspension refresh

Hello all. First post here. Will go back and post an intro soon. But I am looking for some info and have tried searching multiple places and not a good bit of info. SO i figured id start a thread that might help others too. I have an 09 JKU with about 150k on it. Has a 3-3.5" lift (bought used with lift, have yet to measure) and not sure how long the lift has been installed. It's my wife's DD and she is noticing ride quality getting worse (aside from usual lifted stuff, which I have explained to her). I know that I am going to replace the shocks to try and stiffen it up a little. Going with Bilstein 5100 as its her on road daily with occasional off road. We dont really have the cash to fix things that break so until then its mostly on road. I am trying to figure out what else I should replace at 150k to refresh and tighten up the suspension. Any input on other parts in addition to suspension would be appreciated as well (ie: engine, drive line, etc). About to replace front drive shaft as the boot is torn and we are currently a 2WD jeep wit no front drive shaft. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:49 AM
Former Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Amazing the things we do for our JeepGirls. First and easiest way is of course adding new coil spacers. Reasoning, is if you want to keep what coils you have, the new/fresh spacers will add a bit more to the lift. But for almost the same price or a tad more, new coils would be our choice. I think the whole concept of coils sagging over time is very apparent on your jeep. Used or abused, either way, take those measurements and see what can be done. I can't vouch for Bilstein as we've heading to Australia for our TJM shocks.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

To better assist you, it would be best if you crawled under it and took some pics and posted them, so everyone knows what you're starting with.

Another thing that will help guide everyone is to take it to an alignment shop and get an alignment check, get a print out of the alignment check and post it here. Without those items everyone would be just taking shots in the dark.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
To better assist you, it would be best if you crawled under it and took some pics and posted them, so everyone knows what you're starting with.

Another thing that will help guide everyone is to take it to an alignment shop and get an alignment check, get a print out of the alignment check and post it here. Without those items everyone would be just taking shots in the dark.
I hear you. I'll get it when I can. I do know the alignment is off. I have replaced the drag link and when I did the alignment (am a tech) I found the tie rod was seized. So the wheels are equalized, but not perfectly straight. They were just in the red. It was a little while ago so I don't have the print out, and it probably needs to be done again but I'm waiting till I do the tie rod, which is on my list as the next thing to buy.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I would actually start by looking at the tires. If it seems to be getting worse over time you may have worn tires or pressure may be off on one or more. New spacers puck make no sense at all. I really doubt the suspension is the issue as sagging coils would drop the height and actually increase the caster and steering feel. Ball joints may need to be replaced as well as the unit bearings. If your lift has adjustable control arms look at the the joints for wear. Uless you see leaking from the shocks or have a noticeable bounce in the suspension you shocks are likely fine.

Quick Reply: JKU Suspension refresh