Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JKUR Build Up

Old 12-10-2014, 04:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepin76

Check. I'll add that. Is a Tom Woods ok? I probably need a certain length, but I'll figure that out when the time comes.
I run a Tom Woods 1310 up front, not on 37s, but heavy 35s ( Mud Grapplers ) on a JKU with the RK 3.5 X Factor and haven't had any issues with it. You don't need the exhaust spacer with the lift and TW shaft. Everyone is different but if asked if I would buy again...absolutely.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2015, stock 6 speed manual. I have been researching upgrades for about 4 months so I can hopefully determine my plan of attack on my rig. It honestly makes me nauseous thinking about how much this is going b to cost, but I'm doing it anyway. Damn mod fever. Gets me every time!!!

Anyway, I'm probably going to head in this direction. Please let me know what extra mods I need to for or provide any suggestions / alternatives.

* 3.5" RK X-Factor Mid Arm
* Fox 2.0 shocks
* BushWacker Flat Fenders
* 17x9 wheels (Procomp 7005 or 7105)
* 37x12.50's

Will I need a front drive shaft (Tom woods?)? I read that I most likely won't need a rear. Hopefully that is true.

Do you think my axles will last a couple of years until I can upgrade them and do a 5.13 regear?

This is my daily driver with a 20 mile commute each way. I make a valiant attempt to hit the trails or just go explore once a month. My main reason for the 37's is to get my clearance angle close to what my TJ Rubi had with a 2" lift and 33's when going over sharp hill crests. I bottomed out the other day in the JK on a hill the TJ would drive right over. I was not happy.

Thanks,
Matt
37's are pretty standard equipment on JK's so its definitely not a bad route to go on a DD. You will want to gusset the c's on the front axle at least with anything over a 35" tire (isn't a bad idea with a 35 either). If you're going with the flat fenders and 37's right off the bat you can run them no issue on a 2.5" x-factor kit as well. Totally personal preference though, if you're worried about break over angle then the 3.5" is the exact same kit with different coils.

RK
Old 12-10-2014, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too have a Rubi with 6spd M, and, I did not like the stock Rubi 4.10's with 35's, cannot imagine going to 37's without gearing at the same time.
Guess it depends on what you wheel... I went with 5.13's for 35's, it is geared just a little steeper than my XJ was and I'm real happy with it so far.
My build is armor and steering come as first priority, lift there-after, in order to gain some clearance I stuck a budget boost under it until "true" lift funds are available.
Good luck.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the RK 3.5 X Factor w/ the RRD Resi's and 37" trail grapplers. I have factory trimmed fenders and run custom 1350 drive shafts front and rear. I have a JKUR so running the same D44 as you but I'm running the Aretec C gussets and axle truss's front and rear. I'm also running a set of prosteer ball joints. This is my 2nd JK and I absolutely love this setup. Can't go wrong with a set of 37's and a RK lift
Old 12-10-2014, 05:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
37's are pretty standard equipment on JK's so its definitely not a bad route to go on a DD. You will want to gusset the c's on the front axle at least with anything over a 35" tire (isn't a bad idea with a 35 either). If you're going with the flat fenders and 37's right off the bat you can run them no issue on a 2.5" x-factor kit as well. Totally personal preference though, if you're worried about break over angle then the 3.5" is the exact same kit with different coils.

RK
I think I'm sticking to my desire to run 37's. I do like the idea of running 35's, I just figure that I might as well go with 37's after installing the 3.5" lift and the flat fenders. I thought they looked great on my TJ Rubi. Since the RK X-Factor does require some welding, I'll plan to have the gusset's also welded onto the front axle at that time.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BrowniesJK
I run the RK 3.5 X Factor w/ the RRD Resi's and 37" trail grapplers. I have factory trimmed fenders and run custom 1350 drive shafts front and rear. I have a JKUR so running the same D44 as you but I'm running the Aretec C gussets and axle truss's front and rear. I'm also running a set of prosteer ball joints. This is my 2nd JK and I absolutely love this setup. Can't go wrong with a set of 37's and a RK lift
What's the difference between the 1310 and 1350 drive shafts besides the $200 price difference (Quadratech). I'm guessing they're built to tolerate different stress levels?

10-4 on the ball joints and gussets. Did you upgrade your axle shafts and re-gear as well?
Old 12-10-2014, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mike H.
I too have a Rubi with 6spd M, and, I did not like the stock Rubi 4.10's with 35's, cannot imagine going to 37's without gearing at the same time.
Guess it depends on what you wheel... I went with 5.13's for 35's, it is geared just a little steeper than my XJ was and I'm real happy with it so far.
My build is armor and steering come as first priority, lift there-after, in order to gain some clearance I stuck a budget boost under it until "true" lift funds are available.
Good luck.
Looks like I'll definitely have to regear. I think I'll have to live with the 4.10's for now until I can save up for the stronger axle shafts and regear.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:28 PM
JK Freak

What's the difference between the 1310 and 1350 drive shafts besides the $200 price difference (Quadratech). I'm guessing they're built to tolerate different stress levels?

10-4 on the ball joints and gussets. Did you upgrade your axle shafts and re-gear as well?
more of a "heavy duty" drive shaft with the 1350. Adams DS 1350 is 150 more. I'd assume up to 37" tire the 1310 should be just fine and that's what I have on order from Adam's. They recommend if you are running 40" or taller to use the 1350. hope that helps.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:41 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Looks like I'll definitely have to regear. I think I'll have to live with the 4.10's for now
Gearing is very subjective. Drive it and see what 'you' think of the performance, rather than basing it off of a few posts from people who could have very different driving styles, or different usage, or different location/elevation, or may be giving their opinion based on an older 3.8 and not a newer 3.6...

Plenty of other threads to read through for opinions.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Gearing is very subjective. Drive it and see what 'you' think of the performance, rather than basing it off of a few posts from people who could have very different driving styles, or different usage, or different location/elevation, or may be giving their opinion based on an older 3.8 and not a newer 3.6... Plenty of other threads to read through for opinions.
X2!

I run 37&rsquo;s and 4.10&rsquo;s and I'm fine with it. Much better than 3.73 w/35&rsquo;s in the old 3.8 in my opinion.
With the 4.1:1 tcase - crawl ratio isn't bad either.

Granted - my 37&rsquo;s (km2) are smaller than the average 37

Just do it and see how you like it.

Quick Reply: JKUR Build Up