Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kayak rack??

Old 04-13-2013, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kayak rack??

Looking for some kind of kayak rack where i dont have to bolt a gay looking bar across my windshield.. Making this more difficult i have a soft top. If anyone knows of something on the market please help
Old 04-13-2013, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

If you don't always need the top on you could try this. Not too expensive and you don't have to deal with the noise and as with some roof racks satellite antenna issues.

Olympic 4x4 Products 908-171 - Olympic Quick N Easy Rack for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
Old 04-13-2013, 05:49 PM
JK Newbie

Some talk about kayak racks in this thread: drilling holes in hardtop for kayak rack, bueno or no bueno?
Old 04-13-2013, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I haul 2 kayaks on top of my 2 door all the time without a roof rack, but the soft top has to be down. Its not a big deal for me because there are local lakes that I go to, but if you were going on a weekend trip I can see how rain can be an issue.

I have the right straps and pads to haul them. I can send you links if you want.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by loserhead4236
I haul 2 kayaks on top of my 2 door all the time without a roof rack, but the soft top has to be down. Its not a big deal for me because there are local lakes that I go to, but if you were going on a weekend trip I can see how rain can be an issue.

I have the right straps and pads to haul them. I can send you links if you want.
What are you using for the pads?
Old 04-14-2013, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

You should look into the bestop highrock 4x4 overhead rack. It clamps to the tub above the rear wheels without drilling needed and the bars move back and forth so you can put your top down. Qtec sells'm for $275.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by granada
What are you using for the pads?
I use a total of 4 pads altogether to haul 2 kayaks.

Once I put down the soft top I put these pads on top of the area where the speakers are, to the left and right of the interior dome light. Amazon.com: SportRack ABR525 Standard Block Island 12-Inch Kayak Kit: Sports & Outdoors . I use these straps to attach them to the roll bar. Amazon.com: Thule 523 Load Straps for Roof Mount Racks: Sports & Outdoors. I think you would want 15 foot ones. Remember to put the kayaks on your vehicle upside down

Then, I use these pads on top of the windshield, they are the perfect size for the windshield. Amazon.com: Pelican Boats Kayak Car-Top Carrier Kit: Sports & Outdoors . I then use the same blue thule straps to attach the kayaks at this point around the door frame and the center loop in the middle of the sun visors. I also attach a strap from a point on the bumper -> through both front kayak handles -> and back to the front bumper to attach the front. since I have an aftermarket front bumper its easy to find this attachment point The black straps that come with the pads in the second link are perfect for this. Although not necessary, I attach them at the rear for good measure as well. Next time I put them on I will take pics. There are many ways to tighten the blue straps but remember that you want them to sink into the pads; you want to get that downward force going so that when you tighten the straps, the kayak is being pushed into the pad. Not sure if i said this right, hope it makes sense. This is one thing I see a lot of beginners do incorrectly.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:32 PM
JK Freak

I have a Yakima rack for my hard top it works great but I'm proly going to mak a way to mount it during topless time
Old 04-15-2013, 06:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by loserhead4236
I use a total of 4 pads altogether to haul 2 kayaks.

Once I put down the soft top I put these pads on top of the area where the speakers are, to the left and right of the interior dome light. Amazon.com: SportRack ABR525 Standard Block Island 12-Inch Kayak Kit: Sports & Outdoors . I use these straps to attach them to the roll bar. Amazon.com: Thule 523 Load Straps for Roof Mount Racks: Sports & Outdoors. I think you would want 15 foot ones. Remember to put the kayaks on your vehicle upside down

Then, I use these pads on top of the windshield, they are the perfect size for the windshield. Amazon.com: Pelican Boats Kayak Car-Top Carrier Kit: Sports & Outdoors . I then use the same blue thule straps to attach the kayaks at this point around the door frame and the center loop in the middle of the sun visors. I also attach a strap from a point on the bumper -> through both front kayak handles -> and back to the front bumper to attach the front. since I have an aftermarket front bumper its easy to find this attachment point The black straps that come with the pads in the second link are perfect for this. Although not necessary, I attach them at the rear for good measure as well. Next time I put them on I will take pics. There are many ways to tighten the blue straps but remember that you want them to sink into the pads; you want to get that downward force going so that when you tighten the straps, the kayak is being pushed into the pad. Not sure if i said this right, hope it makes sense. This is one thing I see a lot of beginners do incorrectly.
Thanks for the write up. Pictures would be great when you finally get out on the kayaks. Why do you recommend carrying the kayaks upside down? I will probably only use the Jeep to carry one kayak, if we are taking both out we have thule racks on the wife's Rav that make them pretty easy to haul around.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by granada
Thanks for the write up. Pictures would be great when you finally get out on the kayaks. Why do you recommend carrying the kayaks upside down? I will probably only use the Jeep to carry one kayak, if we are taking both out we have thule racks on the wife's Rav that make them pretty easy to haul around.
You may think twice about taking the rav when you first put the kayaks on the jeep. the yak makes the jeep look even more like a jeep,if possible, and youll get a lot of looks from people with the top down and yaks thrown up top. Definitely put the kayaks upside because of the wind drag; if you have it right side up, the shape of the kayak will cause it to lift up when driving. Whenever I see folks traveling with them or have read how - to videos on the web, its most always upside down. Ill take close up picks when the time comes, just waiting for a warm weekend.

Quick Reply: Kayak rack??