Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Kilby Engine Skid

Old 01-20-2009, 10:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the skidrow engine skid plate and have not had any issues with it. Gives a great piece of mind.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

how are oil changes with the Kilby skid? Is the drain plug easy to get too, and does it make a mess, or do things stay pretty clean with that back splash they have welded on there?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:47 PM
JK Super Freak

I have the skid row engine and evap skid plates and I have had no issues.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Well after much debate, I have ordered the RockHard skid. Hopefully I won't have the exhaust clearance issue. I have a Magnaflow catback, and it looks like it sit's pretty high, so we'll see. My fingers are crossed. I will definitely feel better off-road once I have the skid in place.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:11 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the reported issues of vibration are from the crossover pipe, some are just lower than others.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
the reported issues of vibration are from the crossover pipe, some are just lower than others.
Yup. Mine hang down about 1/4" on the driver's side. A little hanger tweaking fixed that. The only complaint is the Rock Hard skid seems to reflect engine vibrations. There is no contact with the exhaust, it's just that now there is a more pronounced rumble, especially around 55 mph. The rumble goes away with the skid off.

Originally Posted by afoulk
how are oil changes with the Kilby skid? Is the drain plug easy to get too, and does it make a mess, or do things stay pretty clean with that back splash they have welded on there?
Can't speak for the Kilby as far as clearances go, but the Fumoto valve works great! Just attach a hose and crank open the valve.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumoto Valve.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	18108
Old 01-21-2009, 11:56 AM
JK Newbie

Default RockHard Skid

Originally Posted by jckid
Well after much debate, I have ordered the RockHard skid. Hopefully I won't have the exhaust clearance issue. I have a Magnaflow catback, and it looks like it sit's pretty high, so we'll see. My fingers are crossed. I will definitely feel better off-road once I have the skid in place.
I have the Rockhard engine/trans skid, transfer case skid, and evap skid for my 2007 JK 2dr Rubicon. In general I think the build quality is good.

I have encountered the exhaust cross over touching the skid creating a vibration. I won't completely fault Rockhard for this and primarily attribute it to variations in JK production. Fixes under consideration are to simply use washers between the skid plate and trans support brace or loosen the bolts on the exhaust manifolds and where the two pipes join into one and see if it can be moved up a bit then retighten loosened bolts. Another less favorable option is to have a muffler shop modify the exhaust cross over.

I also had an issue with the transfer case skid. I'll fault Rockhard for this one. The problem is its not shaped or contoured correctly to bolt on to the attachment points. As a result it needs to be forced a bit to bolt on to the frame rail contact point. I contacted Rockhard and they confirmed this issue, but they did not think it was a big problem. Rockhard said just tighten the frame rail bolt last. I don't agree. My perspective is when I pay good money for parts I expect them to fit/bolt on properly. They should not have to be forced into place. Because of this I am not sure I will buy their gas tank skid even though I think their the only ones who make one.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2007JKR
I have the Rockhard engine/trans skid, transfer case skid, and evap skid for my 2007 JK 2dr Rubicon. In general I think the build quality is good.

I have encountered the exhaust cross over touching the skid creating a vibration. I won't completely fault Rockhard for this and primarily attribute it to variations in JK production. Fixes under consideration are to simply use washers between the skid plate and trans support brace or loosen the bolts on the exhaust manifolds and where the two pipes join into one and see if it can be moved up a bit then retighten loosened bolts. Another less favorable option is to have a muffler shop modify the exhaust cross over.

I also had an issue with the transfer case skid. I'll fault Rockhard for this one. The problem is its not shaped or contoured correctly to bolt on to the attachment points. As a result it needs to be forced a bit to bolt on to the frame rail contact point. I contacted Rockhard and they confirmed this issue, but they did not think it was a big problem. Rockhard said just tighten the frame rail bolt last. I don't agree. My perspective is when I pay good money for parts I expect them to fit/bolt on properly. They should not have to be forced into place. Because of this I am not sure I will buy their gas tank skid even though I think their the only ones who make one.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the info. Like you, I also expect things like this to fit correctly without modification. I guess at least I know ahead of time that there may be some necessary adjustments. I think the only reason I can accept that is because it seems that none of the oil pan skids out there are perfect. Still, it's a lot of cash for something that may need modification to work. I do have the RockHard Evap Skid too. The quality is excellent and it fits perfectly, so hopefully I"ll luck out with the oil pan skid. Too bad Mopar doesn't have something available though...

Quick Reply: Kilby Engine Skid