Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Kinda irritated about 4x4

Old 01-05-2014, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinda irritated about 4x4

Just wondering what I need to do. Im fairly new to Jeeps so i may be way off here.
Driving around today i was driving down a county road headed to my in laws farm and the road drifts really bad when it snows. anyway i start driving through( granted my 3.8L is a turd) and all is fine. then all of a sudden i start to spin and as i start digging the rig starts to turn sideways and after rocking back and forth enough times i was facing the other direction and went by down the way i came.......So as i was doing this i watched my tires.....sometimes they would all spin sometimes they wouldnt. I realize i dont have axle lock like a rubi, which im assuming is what locks and allows power to all wheels instead of limited slip.

Im just not used to that as i drive a superduty most of the time and when you lock it in...hold on we are diggin in! so whats my options..... After todays episode of stupid driving im about to go get a new rubicon and calling it a day.. i just got time and money in this on, and i like it, other then the motor. and the dana 30....2011 JK sport ....3.5 RK lift is what i got now. owe like 12500 on it....what you think i should do here. Also just ordered 5:13s for it as well.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:46 PM
JK Junkie

If you ordered gears then you'll already be in the axles- why not just order lockers to go with them and be done with it. Seeing where you're at in the build phase.....lockers would be an easy choice.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2014, 04:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well you talk as if money isn't a huge problem so why not just get lockers and have them installed when you put your new gears in? Shouldn't be too much more.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:49 PM
JK Junkie

Short of throwing a d44 up front and putting in lockers with the new gears you might as well get a rubi. However you might come out cheaper going with the first option. You could also just lock the rear and leave the front. What type of tires are you running.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:02 PM
JK Freak

Rubi or not, if you're driving down the road, you're not locked anyway. So, even in 4 HI you will slide when the shit gets really slick. Tell your wife you did the 360 just to show off. She WILL believe you.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by knight1000
Rubi or not, if you're driving down the road, you're not locked anyway. So, even in 4 HI you will slide when the shit gets really slick. Tell your wife you did the 360 just to show off. She WILL believe you.
haha. yah...she wasnt too impressed!
It wasnt soo much of the slide....when i tried to get out i was doing a spin move as one wheel in the front spun, then the other would kick in, and caused me to spin a 180 rockin back and forth....I know snow is another ball game but spinning in a drift going forward i want to think i should have stayed going straight if all 4 tires were spinning with the same power at the same time.

Money is an object, but i just want to nip this in the bud as barney would say....
Can i even do a locker in the front with 5:13s in a D30?
Old 01-05-2014, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also for lockers, what would you suggest. I have Yukon gears coming.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:16 PM
JK Junkie

Is u dont do rocks a lot i would do truetracs
Old 01-05-2014, 05:19 PM
JK Super Freak

All the money or equipment in the world won't replace an understanding of physics or how the parts work. Sounds like user error to me.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:21 PM
JK Junkie

You can do a locker up front but I've read a lot of threads not suggesting it. Maybe the more experienced can chime in on that

Quick Reply: Kinda irritated about 4x4