Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Leaning to the right

Old 10-09-2015, 03:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If memory serves, and that's asking much, about 5 years ago the fix was adjustable sway bar links. Make the short side sway link longer.
The following users liked this post:
Desert Warrior (12-21-2022)
Old 10-09-2015, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's another one I ran into did you measure out your coils before installing them? Like put them next to each other and see if they were the same or if one was a bit taller?
Old 10-09-2015, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I weighed my stock JK with a scale under each tire. It was very well balanced from side to side with half a tank of fuel, no occupants, no tools, etc. inside.
The front/rear distribution was 52% front, 48% rear. Sounds like a well balanced vehicle from the factory.

Something else is going on with those that lean to one side or the other.
Yep... I think the idea that it's unbalanced is a myth.... below are my weights with a full tank of fuel.

Front Driver - 1370

Front Passenger - 1378

Rear Driver - 1128

Rear Passenger - 1193

Passenger - 50.7%

Rear - 45.8%

I've had the same coils (RK 2.5") for several years... no lean either direction.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by TreyJK
Most of the JK's tend to lean a little passenger because of the fuel tank and battery as the above post stated. Mine leans a little under an inch (apparently I'm the only one who notices it )
Steering wheel, column, steering box, ECM, brake booster, pedals, ABS components, t-case, half the weight of the front driveshaft, exhaust pipe, etc. are suspended from the driver's side.
I think it balances out very well. Something else is causing some JKs to lean to the right.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was also leaning to the right. I figured it was my Rock krawler 2.5" springs starting to sag so I changed them out to metalcloak 3.5" but it still leaned. I put a 3/4" spacer on the passenger side front and it leveled it out perfect.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by austinemiller
Have a jku on 40s with a 3" lift and a few months ago I noticed that over time the coils on the right had been sagging so I thought it was just shitty rough country coils. I replaced them with teraflex coils and now they are doing the same thing. Any idea what could be causing it? Nothing heavy is on that side. Maybe a bent rear sway bar? Can anyone help?
As mentioned, pretty common but not all JKs do this. I added an extra 1/2" shim to the RR upper spring seat and my rig sits within 1/4" all around. Hasn't changed in 40k miles and a lot of wheeling. At one point it started to sit a bit low to the driver front, turned out the 19MM Full Traction rear sway bar I was trying had twisted. Put the stock rear bar back on and it levelled right out. FWIW, I don't like the idea of levelling the rig by pre-loading the sway bar(s) with different length links. Best to get it levelled with the springs, then set your link lengths. JMHO, of course.

Last edited by SoK66; 10-10-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-324816358.jpg
Views:	952
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	627503

Same lean and it's really pissing me off, very noticeable even from the front. Had the lift on for 2.5 years with no issues until a few months ago. Even spun the coil around to try and fix the bow but no luck. Still a full gangsta lean even with an empty gas tank.....ugh

2010 JKUR | 2.5 RK Max Travel | 35 Toyo MTs | Crawler Conceptz Skinny front/Smitty rear | 5.13 Yukon | Superchips
Old 10-16-2015, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

To determine the cause of the lean take any load you carry out of the rig, adjust the fuel load to 1/2 full if possible and disconnect the front & rear sway bar links. If there's no change in the lean un-bolt the rear track bar from the axle. If still no change, swap the rear springs side to side. If there's still no change add a spacer above the passenger rear spring equal to the amount of lean. Bolt all back up, done.

In general the preliminary steps will identify the cause, twisted sway bar, incorrect link lengths, incorrect track bar length, sagging rear spring, etc.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've noticed mine leans to the right too, and the springs are brand new, i had the lean with brand new Rubicon Express springs, and those fackers have crazy pressure rates, had them not even for 2 months and i had them switched to OME's light duty, lean is still there, i have had the springs for only 2 weeks or so, and i just threw a high lift jack with the Rudge ridge tube bars inside yesterday, had the base of the jack facing the driver side hoping a little weigh will seat that side a little better, lol, didn't do shit i think, but i gave it a try, and now i have a hi lift jack

Check your rear springs to see is they're arched, i bet the rear passenger has a more pronounced bow. you can always add something like a 10mm spacer on the side that has the biggest lean, i'd assume in the JK that would the rear passenger side as that is where the gas tank is.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:04 AM
JK Newbie

do like the rest of us have done, drink alot of beer, eat alot of pizza, stay away from the gym and before you know it with you in the driver side there is no more lean.

Quick Reply: Leaning to the right