Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let the Mods Begin!

Old 07-12-2010, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let the Mods Begin!

Hey Everyone,

I've been around Jeeps my whole life but never owned myself, but now I do! I've had my '09 4 door Rubicon for a little over a year and I am going to perform some modifications. I finally have the time and the money (at the same time!!.

I going with a 3-4" lift so I can run 35's. Front and rear bumpers are next. A Dual Battery kit and a Warn Power Plant winch.

In a couple of months I'll be purchasing the BFG 35's. I will also buy them for my little off-road trailer. I need to find at lease 2 more 17" OE wheels to match my Jeep.

So I need some advise. Obviously I want a lift kit that raises the Jeep 3 to 4 inches, but keeps the same highway ride and geometry so I don't get the death wobble and go through tires every 4 months! I spoke with my local Jeep dealership and they are on board with a lift up to 4 inches. I was told any higher than that and I might have driveline issues which may or may not void my lifetime drive train warranty. As luck would have it there was a Jeep in the service drive witha 4" lift, Rockhard bumpers and Xenon fenders. The Service Writer told me as long as the installation is done right - I won't have a problem. He said Jeeps were made to modify - (I like the way that guy thinks.) Everyone has read the nightmare blogs about voided warranties and problems with Chrysler.

So first question: Anyone out there had a great experience with a 3-4" lift? I priced a Rubicon Express 3.5" Super Flex kit today (plus shocks $50 a pair). Total price $1700 plus labor if I don't do it myself. I've looked at the Terra Flex, Old Man Emu, and Nth Degree lifts.

Next question - Front Bumper: I am looking for a front bumper that will hold the Warn Power Plant and accepts the stock fog lamps (or other lamp types). It should have a couple of D-Rings and maybe a brush guard. At first I liked the bumpers that reached out to the tires and up to the stock fenders. But now that I know I'll be parting with those stock fenders at some point, a stubby front fender may work better. My stock front bumper is a rock magnet. It looks like I've been playing bumper cars on the way home from work on those L.A. freeways!

Last queastion: Rear Bumper: I want t bumper that wraps around under the rear corners of my Jeep. I've already scraped a rear light on "Heart-Attack Hill" in Borrego and know that I will come off a rock and catch a corner at some point in my off road life. The bumper must have a swing out tire carrier for a 35" tire, Hi lift Jack mount, and a spot for atleast one gas can. I would like to mount a couple of lights on it also so I can see that little trailer when I'm backin up at night.

Thanks for the help - I appreciate it! Cheers!

JK Marc
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2009 Jeep Rubicon and Trailer..jpg
Views:	103
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	76592  
Old 07-13-2010, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

I went with the same RE kit that you mentioned and haven't been disappointed. It has everything except an adjustable rear track bar (like extended braided brake lines, etc) and it flexes really well. I got mine from Performance Off Road Center and want to say I got it shipped with shocks for less that 1400.

I don't have any driveline issues but did have to remove the tranny skidplate because of the new DS angle up front and rubbing when flexed. Install wasn't too intense, would have had it done in a day but I installed it in Phoenix in July so I only worked each day until noon.

One word of advice is to make sure the shocks (bushings, bar pins, etc) are right before you get started. Nothing like getting it all ready to go and noticing that the shock bushings are wrong. Luckily, I had another vehicle to drive for a few days while the jeep waited for the right bushings.

Good luck
Old 07-13-2010, 11:03 AM
JK Newbie

I went with the Mopar (RE) long arm kit and the road manners are better than stock with 35 KM2s. I also went with the Mopar front and rear "off-road" bumpers because I liked the way they wrapped around and fit the body. I didn't like the way the "crush cans" on the front looked, so I cut them off and added Pure Jeep D-rings to the front bumper. (It also accapts the stock fog lights)
Old 07-13-2010, 02:24 PM
JK Newbie

I'll remember to check the shocks before I start! Thanks.

Yeah, i kinda like the mopar bumpers. I'll have to check out their lift. Thanks again.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have any questions about TeraFlex lifts, feel free to call me. Welcome to the forum!
Old 07-13-2010, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks I will. TeraFlex was my initial choice. My cousin has one of your kits on his 08 Rubicon. It's his "company" Jeep! He works for Kane County in Kanab. I'm still shopping around - I'll definitely call.

Marc
Old 07-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Former Member

Your not to far from our Shop in Bakersfield, We build all of our lifts, bumpers, rockers etc in the shop (Hanson & Purejeep). Please feel free to give us a ring and stop by to check out our lifts. We even do installs!

I'm sure if you ask nicely we'll give you a ride in our 2 door or 4 door on the new 3" premium plus kit.

Quick Reply: Let the Mods Begin!