Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Leveling Kit v.s. Front End- HELP/ADVICE/OPINIONS NEEDED!

Old 09-03-2012, 06:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dawdge
Fender flare wouldn't Be an accurate measurement.. Go out and check, one way to check is measure where the rock rails are. Or use a level on the rock rails, measure it and jack it up till its level and then measure it again to see how much you actually need... Or if your not happy with the front sagging, just throw a ton of bricks in the back, and it'll be level haha
Bricks in the back....hmmmmm. Low cost alternative...
Old 09-03-2012, 08:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RRCP08JK

Bricks in the back....hmmmmm. Low cost alternative...
Haha, just trying to help, but to be honest I was in the same boat as you, everyone said it looked fine but it bugged the hell out of me, if it bugs you change it! Options are to change the front spacer or swap in another spring! I hope you find it, otherwise your gonna end up like me with a ton of extra parts!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RRCP08JK
I'm looking to add a spacer up front -- I hate the look with a rake. Million dollar questions is what is the easiest way to determine what size spacers you need? Can you simply measure, on a level surface, from the rock rail to grade, front and back, and use the difference? For example 15" front and 16" in the back -- get a 1" spacer??
I have a floor jack that I put underneath the bottom of my aftermarket bumper (measure the distance from ground to bumper first) and I was able to pick the front end up and take some of the compression/weight off the front coils. From there, I was able to get an idea of how much lift I wanted. Now, that won't be TOTALLY accurate because when I put the spacers on, there's going to be weight on them, but it was a rough estimate...
Old 09-04-2012, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! I think I'm going to go ahead and go with the brick suggestion- KIDDING! I've decided to go with just the 2" spacers made by Black Diamond (not that the brand really matters- or so I've been told?) I'm curious, though- will I need extra parts for the front end? I'm getting mixed answers here...
Old 09-04-2012, 09:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

X2 on using new springs instead of spacers. Springs cost very little more than spacers and take the same amount of work to install. With spacers over the top of overworked springs you still have overworked springs, with less suspension travel, a tendency to sag even further, and a crappier ride.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Whats your front coil tag say.

Also I put a winch and a rough county bumper on my jeep and only lost about an inch. So I put a 3/4 spacer on and it leveled it out perfect

Last edited by Tonka_yellow; 09-04-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Leveling Kit v.s. Front End- HELP/ADVICE/OPINIONS NEEDED!