Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leveling and spacers

Old 03-25-2019, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Additional photos of the front end...
Old 03-26-2019, 07:38 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

The first thing that jumps out to me is you have cam bolts installed in the lower control arms (axle-side bracket). That may be something that you want to read up on. It’s just my opinion that those are the worst caster correction options we have. I don’t trust them at all. That is not to say they will give you problems, but if you get in to off roading much, you might want to look at a cam bolt delete kit which just fills in the holes in the axle bracket and allows you to use a normal bolt again, and select a different means of caster correction. Not trying to fear monger, I just noticed them immediately.

Also, it looks like you have a zerk on top of the ball joint in one of those pictures….kinda hard to tell though. Maybe that is just part of the tire I’m seeing behind it giving the illusion something is on top of the BJ. If there is a zerk, someone has replaced the BJs on that along the line as the factory BJs aren’t serviceable.

Factory tie rod
Factory drag link
Old 03-26-2019, 08:34 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you for pointing out the cam bolts. I was not aware. I am planning to plunk down for some CORE 4x4 level 3 adjustable lowers to correct caster. I will remove the cam bolts during the install. I will check out the BJs and see if there are indeed zerks. I do not believe this is the case.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by CBJeeper
I will check out the BJs and see if there are indeed zerks. I do not believe this is the case.
must just be an illusion caused by some raised lettering on the tire behind it then. If those are factory BJs, you should at least start budgeting for some as they are a common issue on our modified JKs. You can read up a bit on em. Although no perfect options, Teraflex seems to be one of the better options lately due to warranty. Rare Parts are pricey, but probably the last BJs you'd ever have to replace.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

OK. So my mystery is yet unsolved. If this is an older OME lift with OME-tagged coils all 'round, why would there exist what appears to be front coil spacers? The minimum lift with a set of coils and shocks would be 2", yes? This JK does have a pronounced rake to the front...
Old 03-30-2019, 02:05 PM
JK Newbie

Just measured- front shock measurement is roughly 22 1/2".
Old 03-30-2019, 02:07 PM
JK Newbie

Looked again. Uppers have zerk, lowers have zerk plug.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by CBJeeper
OK. So my mystery is yet unsolved. If this is an older OME lift with OME-tagged coils all 'round, why would there exist what appears to be front coil spacers? The minimum lift with a set of coils and shocks would be 2", yes? This JK does have a pronounced rake to the front...

If you wander around OME's website, you will find a big table of like 15 or 20 different coils for the Jeep JK. They are listed by rate and application (2dr/4dr/Gas/Diesel/load rate/etc). That the box says 2" lift is meaningless, what matters is the coil rate and what model JK you put them on. (My 2" front OME coils were classified as Heavy Duty, and gave around 3.25". Since I had a heavy front bumper and winch, the shop I ordered from suggested Medium duty rear coils to go with the HD fronts)

added info for the link to arb coils below

Last edited by nthinuf; 03-30-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

The rear coils are tagged OME620, which I have referenced as 2" JKU rear coils. There exist no spacers in the rear.

The front coils are tagged OME19. I can find no reference to this part number except Dakur leaf springs.

I do have an ARB front bumper, heavy front skid plate and Warn Powerplant 9.5 on the front. Sounds like I will need to contact ARB/OME and look into a heavier spring.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:51 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Looks like they moved stuff around on their site again.( ARB USA - Guides - Vehicle Application Guides - Jeep)

2619's are 4dr front Heavy Load (89-180 lbs)
2620's are 4dr rear Heavy Load (660 lbs)

I didn't see it listed, but they used to have a '+40' coil that was around a 4" lift. That might be an option if you want a taller OME coil. Or, MetalCloak coils are taller than stated spec - I'm around 4.5" with their 3.5" coils (but folks with heavier rigs indicate that 4" is more normal).

Last edited by nthinuf; 03-30-2019 at 07:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CBJeeper (03-31-2019)

Quick Reply: Leveling and spacers