Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift advice needed??

Old 06-24-2011, 04:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift advice needed??

I want to lift my jeep 2.5". My local guy recommends the Rough country suspension lift, is this a good one? Is my ride going to be better than my stock ride? I'm not an offroader so do I really need new shocks or should I go the cheaper route?

Also, I have 33's on now is this going to make me wish I had 35's? I hate the empty tire well look. I want the lift but I don't want it to screw up my look as of now. Sorry to ramble.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

The RC lift is not a bad kit. For the money. Its not the best but it not the worst. You will never retain factory ride quality without pouring some serious money into your lift. With a 2.5 inch lift your 33's will look kinds small. It will still look very good in my opinon but after about 6 months your gonna find yourself wanting 35's for sure. Hope this helps
Old 06-24-2011, 04:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Based on what you said you want - I'd say you should look into 35" tires, especially if you're planning on lifting 2.5" (Most people who go with 33's wish they had picked 35's anyway - myself included)

As for brands of lift - I'd also agree with the above post. RC is a basic brand, but I'd definitely steer you away from it and toward one of these others first:

Teraflex
Rock Krawler
Old Man Emu

They all make fantastic lifts that will be well worth the money (and have room for those 35's!).
Old 06-24-2011, 05:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have to agree with what was already stated with lift brands. The TF 2.5" BB would probably better suit your needs if your not much into the offroad scene (yet) and has great customer service. You maintain your factory coils and shocks. RC is a good bang for the buck as well and have a no questions asked policy for most broken parts (depends on how)... The cheapest route and maintaining factory ride would be to upgrade your coils to 18/59 or 19/60 (Rubi coils) if you don't have those numbers. The bump in higher # coils will give you a 1.5-2" of lift and can be done for about $50., You could also go with a 1.5" TF leveling kit as well. With a leveling kit or bumping your coils, IMO your tires will look fine... I've got a TF 2.5" BB with 18/59 coils and netting 3" of lift. With my 35's I think it looks ok, but would Like a bit more gap. So, if it were me, I'd go with bumping the coils and staying with 33's while maintaing your factory ride.....
Old 06-24-2011, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you very much for all of the advice. It helps out so much since I'm not an offroader (yet).
Old 06-24-2011, 12:00 PM
JK Freak

X10....the Teraflex 2.5. Plus, the rep is a great dude and he'll answer any questions specific you have.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Take a look at the Rock Krawler lift kit, they have 2 kind of 2.5'', the Stock Mod and Max Travel, both are great for 35''. The Max Travel have 4 lower HD arms, trust me, they are HD. I have te 3.5'' Mid Arm and flex like a god.

Good luck body!
Old 06-24-2011, 03:14 PM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bigred2010
Thank you very much for all of the advice. It helps out so much since I'm not an offroader (yet).
Not yet, but you will be. Trust us, it is addicting. Let us know if you have any questions about our products and good luck with your build.

We offer (3) 2.5" kits.

The 2.5" Stock Mod which is our most basic system.

The 2.5" Max. Travel made with Steel Components. . This one seems to be preferred by most customers.

Or we offer the 2.5" Max. Travel PRO with 7075 Aluminum Components and Aluminum HD Tie Rod.

Rock Krawler
Old 06-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by jeep2007
X10....the Teraflex 2.5. Plus, the rep is a great dude and he'll answer any questions specific you have.
Thanks!

Here's the 2.5" BB kit with shock extensions

and our 2.5" coil kit with shock extensions

Both kits are available with TeraFlex shocks or no shocks. Check with your favorite vendor here for a deal on these kits.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:34 PM
JK Junkie

Have to truly appreciate the reps on this forum........

Quick Reply: Lift advice needed??