Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lift calculation

Old 07-14-2018, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question lift calculation

This may seem like a no brainer to you tech guys but I want to confirm my thoughts before I order new shocks. I have a 2011 Sport, I had a 2.5 teraflex spring lift, and a 1.25 in body lift. So when considering new shocks, since they are mounted between the body and suspension I add the two and figure I have a 3.75 lift, Now I purchase and install MetalCloak 2.5 in duel density spring set. The jeep now sits 2 in higher than the Teraflex spring height. So when considering shocks do I add the extra 2 in height gained by the MetalCloak springs and look at shock for a 5.5-6 in lift?

Q-2 what shocks, is there a real advantage to reservoir shocks??

Thanks
Old 07-14-2018, 08:16 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The quick and easy answer is to just look at the specs for the metalcloak shocks offered with those coils. Should be something like 27.3" extended / 15.9" compressed length. Or, cycle the suspension, and measure. (there have been several good posts on how to go about measuring, but I don't recall all the steps).

You could also do a google search for something like "Dirtman Guide to Shocks". (this is an addition to the Thoughts on Lifts stuck to the top of this modified area.) Found it, it's A Simple Guide to Shocks, hosted over on JK-Freaks.

Last edited by nthinuf; 07-14-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

It depends on your actual lift height, not your advertised lift height, my Teraflex springs are currently yielding me 1.5 inches of lift in the front, and less in the back with the weight I have added. Advertised 2.5 in lift.

Spring lift ability to handle weight vary by brand and design. Take some measurements. Click image for larger version

Name:	photo366.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	677152 these are the best measurements I have found for stock in the front. Have t been able to find as consistent of numbers for the back. Comparing actual lengths in the back the shocks are very similar across the loft heights, at least with bilstein. The front is more important.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Echoing above- measure three distance between your mounts and go from there with shock manufacturers, they'll typically list an extended and collapsed height. These numbers are important so you can set up bumpstops and coil retainers as needed.

The body lift does -not- play into your overall height.

There is a real advantage to reservoir shocks if you're out in the desert at 60mph with the shocks constantly moving. The highway and PA rocks really don't constitute a need for them.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

So the best way to measure for your shocks is to measure actual compression and actual droop this will also tell you what you need for bumpstop.

Remove your current shocks and coils. Disconnect your front sway bar.

Compress the suspension in all of the configurations.
-- Droop front axle - Measure from shock mount to shock mount (this is your front shock extended length). You should also look for brake lines that are being pulled on and correct.
-- Compress passenger front and droop driver front - Compress until you hit your bumpstop or something else hits. If it's something else, you need to fix that or add more bumpstop. Take the shock mount to shock mount measurement for both sides.
-- Compress driver front and droop passenger front - same as above
-- Do the same thing for the rear axle (minus disconnecting your sway bar)

So, now you have multiple shock mount to shock mount measurements (both extended and compressed in different configurations). You should use the smallest extended and the largest compressed measurements as it applies to the front and to the back. So you may end up with a longer shock on the front than on the back for example.

This will get you shocks that are the proper length for your combination of lift and proper bumpstop.

One final note - You need to ensure that your bumpstop supports your compressed shock length. For example, if you were able to compress the front axles to bumpstop and the shock mount to shock mount measurement was 16 inches, then you want to be sure you purchase a shock with compression greater than that... like 17 inches.

EDIT - Second final note. I do all this droop and compression by placing the jeep on large jack stands that I place under the frame to the rear of the front wheel wells and front of the rear wheel wells. Then I use a jack to manipulate the axles to induce compression

I hope that's clearer than mud.

Quick Reply: lift calculation