JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Lift, caster and front lower control arm question. (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/lift-caster-front-lower-control-arm-question-248153/)

holy_crap 09-17-2012 01:15 PM

Lift, caster and front lower control arm question.

Background:
I installed a TeraFlex 2.5" coil lift along with the TeraFlex leveling kit on my 2010 JKU Sport about six months ago. After allowing time for the springs to settle, I measured 3.5" of actual lift in the front. I still have the stock control arms, I measured the caster using my iPhone and it read 2.2 degrees. I have installed an adjustable track bar and centered the front axle, I'm running stock Rubicon BFG tires and still have the stock driveshaft.

Issue:
I have significant wobbling of the steering at around 50 to 55 MPH, it is in no way what I would consider death wobble, but it is very significant. It does go away if I go faster than 55 MPH. I observed the front tires wobbling side to side when this was happening, not the typical up and down that is as a result of an unbalanced tire.

Questions:

1) Is the wobbling I feel as a result of the caster being off?

2) What should the caster be with that amount of lift?

3) If I go with adjustable lower control arms, what should the length be set to for 3.5" of actual lift to get the proper caster?

4) Will the longer LCA affect the stock driveshaft?

Thanks in advance. :beer:

Black_JKU 09-17-2012 01:41 PM

Try the AEV geometry brackets..... I got them and installed them last Friday.
World of difference on my 2.5" lift. You will not regret it!
Best 100.00 ive spent so far!

12HTownSahara 09-17-2012 02:07 PM

I've heard good things about the brackets but at 100 bucks you can spend another 40-50 and get some adjustable lower control arms. I believe the guy that set mine up said I had about 5 degrees of caster if that helps.

stevedolce 09-17-2012 02:22 PM

First off, make sure everything is tight. Especially the track bar. And I mean "lean your body into the socket wrench tight". I got my front LCAs form rustys. Good price, but need to grease em. I THINK you need to be between 5-6 degrees forward. Search the WOL front end alignment write up. Be careful with brackets and things. They may help, but you could end up spending ore money later to get the real things"track bar, LCAs etc".

agentcox000 09-17-2012 02:46 PM

Subscribed... having the same issue with 3" lift

LidLess07X 09-17-2012 03:52 PM

I installed the AEV brackets as well and it made a big difference.

JohnnyQuik 09-17-2012 04:12 PM

Wobbles have nothing to do with caster. It's most likely bolts that need to be tightened, tire balance issues, or worn ball joints. Extending the LCA's or a little to increase caster will help tracking and eliminate flightly steering. Adding caster will also increase your pinion angle making the stock front drive shaft rzeppa joint fail more quickly.

Sierra141 09-17-2012 06:56 PM

The upper control arm up off the axle mount and rotate it clockwise or counter clockwise to shorten (increase the amount of positive caster) or lengthen it (reduce the amount). Make a note...

holy_crap 09-18-2012 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Black_JKU (Post 3212478)
Try the AEV geometry brackets..... I got them and installed them last Friday.
World of difference on my 2.5" lift. You will not regret it!
Best 100.00 ive spent so far!

Thank you for your suggestion. I am trying to steer clear of brackets as much as possible, but you make a good argument regarding the price. :beer:

holy_crap 09-18-2012 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by stevedolce (Post 3212538)
First off, make sure everything is tight. Especially the track bar. And I mean "lean your body into the socket wrench tight". I got my front LCAs form rustys. Good price, but need to grease em. I THINK you need to be between 5-6 degrees forward. Search the WOL front end alignment write up. Be careful with brackets and things. They may help, but you could end up spending ore money later to get the real things"track bar, LCAs etc".

Thank you, I will definitely get under and tighten everything again. I understand what you mean about brackets.