Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift, caster and front lower control arm question.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift, caster and front lower control arm question.

Background:
I installed a TeraFlex 2.5" coil lift along with the TeraFlex leveling kit on my 2010 JKU Sport about six months ago. After allowing time for the springs to settle, I measured 3.5" of actual lift in the front. I still have the stock control arms, I measured the caster using my iPhone and it read 2.2 degrees. I have installed an adjustable track bar and centered the front axle, I'm running stock Rubicon BFG tires and still have the stock driveshaft.

Issue:
I have significant wobbling of the steering at around 50 to 55 MPH, it is in no way what I would consider death wobble, but it is very significant. It does go away if I go faster than 55 MPH. I observed the front tires wobbling side to side when this was happening, not the typical up and down that is as a result of an unbalanced tire.

Questions:

1) Is the wobbling I feel as a result of the caster being off?

2) What should the caster be with that amount of lift?

3) If I go with adjustable lower control arms, what should the length be set to for 3.5" of actual lift to get the proper caster?

4) Will the longer LCA affect the stock driveshaft?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Try the AEV geometry brackets..... I got them and installed them last Friday.
World of difference on my 2.5" lift. You will not regret it!
Best 100.00 ive spent so far!
Old 09-17-2012, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've heard good things about the brackets but at 100 bucks you can spend another 40-50 and get some adjustable lower control arms. I believe the guy that set mine up said I had about 5 degrees of caster if that helps.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, make sure everything is tight. Especially the track bar. And I mean "lean your body into the socket wrench tight". I got my front LCAs form rustys. Good price, but need to grease em. I THINK you need to be between 5-6 degrees forward. Search the WOL front end alignment write up. Be careful with brackets and things. They may help, but you could end up spending ore money later to get the real things"track bar, LCAs etc".
Old 09-17-2012, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

Subscribed... having the same issue with 3" lift
Old 09-17-2012, 03:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed the AEV brackets as well and it made a big difference.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:12 PM
JK Freak

Wobbles have nothing to do with caster. It's most likely bolts that need to be tightened, tire balance issues, or worn ball joints. Extending the LCA's or a little to increase caster will help tracking and eliminate flightly steering. Adding caster will also increase your pinion angle making the stock front drive shaft rzeppa joint fail more quickly.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

The upper control arm up off the axle mount and rotate it clockwise or counter clockwise to shorten (increase the amount of positive caster) or lengthen it (reduce the amount). Make a note...
Old 09-18-2012, 06:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Black_JKU
Try the AEV geometry brackets..... I got them and installed them last Friday.
World of difference on my 2.5" lift. You will not regret it!
Best 100.00 ive spent so far!
Thank you for your suggestion. I am trying to steer clear of brackets as much as possible, but you make a good argument regarding the price.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by stevedolce
First off, make sure everything is tight. Especially the track bar. And I mean "lean your body into the socket wrench tight". I got my front LCAs form rustys. Good price, but need to grease em. I THINK you need to be between 5-6 degrees forward. Search the WOL front end alignment write up. Be careful with brackets and things. They may help, but you could end up spending ore money later to get the real things"track bar, LCAs etc".
Thank you, I will definitely get under and tighten everything again. I understand what you mean about brackets.

Quick Reply: Lift, caster and front lower control arm question.